squeeze chute mounting

Help Support CattleToday:

lay low llama

Reaction score
I move the squeez chute between 3 different places during the year. Right now i use 4 u-bolt from leaf springs and have a flat bar on the open end.

my chute is angle iron on the face were it mounts to the end of the corral (round pipe), there is a hole drilled on the face of chute looks like this.

Issue is the angle is not always right and the rust of the bolts. I use a box ratchet wrench to get them on and off, but i know you guys have a better idea.

===========
UBOLT >|===============================================
|

CHUTE CHUTE RUNWAY
|
UBOLT> |================================================
===========

I welded short chains top and bottom on my portable squeeze. It gets borrowed a few times a year so I never know what it's getting mounted to and that's fairly universal. It's worked well so far.
And :welcome: Glad to have you join the discussions.

cow pollinater":18v96rj8 said:
I welded short chains top and bottom on my portable squeeze. It gets borrowed a few times a year so I never know what it's getting mounted to and that's fairly universal. It's worked well so far.

You used a bolt and nut then to fasten the chains to the posts right? Do you have issues with the nut rubbing against the chain link? i ask because i did chain before the flat bar and had trouble from the chain interfering with the nut going on and off.

My portable head gate is mounted to a 3 inch lightweight tube steel frame. Cattle panels welded onto that frame and it forms a chute of its own. Slide it up to an existing alley or medina gate out of a pen. Generally I load it with the front bucket but it can be stood on end and loaded into a truck bed. We've done that.

lay low llama":24dhqz64 said:
cow pollinater":24dhqz64 said:

You used a bolt and nut then to fasten the chains to the posts right? Do you have issues with the nut rubbing against the chain link? i ask because i did chain before the flat bar and had trouble from the chain interfering with the nut going on and off.

All I do is use a chain with a hook or quicklink on each side of the chute. No welding just run chain around the chute to the alley frame and back to the hook. Makes it easy to connect any chute to any alley.

Just another 2 cents worth

weve used the squeeze chute a few times an we have yet to anchor it to the ally.but if we did we would just chain it to the ally.

If you have an entry gate such as a guillotine gate, use care to keep the chain free of the gate action. I chain mine at the bottom if I chain it.

This was the exact question i came here to ask. I have a new headgate and squeeze chute and need to mount it on the end of my alley. Since i am just working 5 weight calves do i need to anchor it at all?

My opinion is "no" Douglas. But if you ever happen to get something in there a bit bigger, don't forget.

There's always that funny story about the bull running around the pasture with a head gate on his head. It wouldn't be so funny if he were your bull.

I promise you - any of the bulls I have had over the years could pick up my portable unit and walk off with it. That's why it gets chained if I am working full grown cattle.

bigbull338":281wmz06 said:
weve used the squeeze chute a few times an we have yet to anchor it to the ally.but if we did we would just chain it to the ally.
Really no need to. Hard for her to move it when she's inside it and squeezed tightly. But seems TPP's chain and hook would be all a man would need. I just have a headgate welded to the pipe alleyway but seldom catch the cow in the headgate. ;-)

Absolutely chain it! It only takes one cow to fly into that thing and put her weight into it to push it forward far enough to give you problems or even turn it over. Your cattle may not be that goofy now but if you buy more you never really know what you're getting until you get them home and go to run them through the chute. :nod:

Latest posts