Sprinkler System

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't put your valves underground in those boxes. Find a place out of the way and have all your pipes coming out of the ground and have the valves where you can work on them later. This will cost you more in pipe but I assure you in the long run you will be thankful you did it this way.

Keep the distance from your control box to the control valves as short as possible because tracing and replacing buried wiring problems is not fun.

Not familiar with the head you are using but if its a gear driven head you are heading in the right direction. Use a length of black plastic pipe to connect the head to the PVC. This will serve as a safety spring in case someone runs over one of your heads with something heavy. This will allow for movement without breaking the PVC.

I'll second Jogeephus on not putting the valves underground, especially in south Texas. I had bee locations listed with the county so that I would get called when people were spraying near me for a few years and they put my number on a swarm removal list(which I hated but I'm to nice in person to tell people "NO" when they're panicked about something that I can handle). About half of the bee swarms that I've collected were from the underside of a sprinkler box lid and the owners always learned about those swarms the hard way. Most of those swarms were meaner than snot and that stands to reason as africanized bees tend to prefer underground sites more than the regular honey bees do and we have both here.

Brute 23":6kzmfdaq said:
Im putting in a sprinkler system in my yard. Any advice?

Looking at the Hunter pop up heads.

3/4 pvc

Doing it myself piece by piece. Did a gpm test. Going to put gauges at a couple different spots to monitor pressure

I sub out my sprinkler work to a friend of mine and he uses rain bird heads and installed them at my moms and they are great.

DO NOT use Hunter for Rotor heads, please, I'm begging you. I do this for a living. I replace Hunter heads every single day on service calls. If you need advice, suggestions, even networking. I can probably save you money short and long term. PM me if you wish. I don't intend to be pushy. I wouldn't give you advice if you were within 100 miles of me. :lol2:

skyhightree1":3ly3h5ra said:
Brute 23":3ly3h5ra said:

3/4 pvc

Doing it myself piece by piece. Did a gpm test. Going to put gauges at a couple different spots to monitor pressure

I sub out my sprinkler work to a friend of mine and he uses rain bird heads and installed them at my moms and they are great.

Rain bird heads do a great job, and are easy to find replacements, and replace if needed.

Limomike":1qtjo66z said:
skyhightree1":1qtjo66z said:
Brute 23":1qtjo66z said:

3/4 pvc

Rain bird heads do a great job, and are easy to find replacements, and replace if needed.

I haven't had many people call me complaining about those heads and my mom hasn't had issues with hers irrigation isn't my cup of tea but my sub I use has been using them for a long time.

Latest posts