Spring

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Spring is finally here :banana: Just a few pics, nothing impressive -

Frost covering came off lettuce two weeks ago, we make up salad packs which include the three varieties of lettuce(sativa), rocket and sorrel. This then gets sold to wholesalers.

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

Garlic was planted in May and has done pretty well through winter, it just got fertilized and is sending it.
DSC01161.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

Last seasons parsley was covered with frost covering as we finished picking the area for market, it seems to have got through the winter pretty well. This parsley will grow really quickly now and go to seed in Jan.
DSC01166.jpg

New young parsley plants to take the place of the old plants, to keep production going.
DSC01229.jpg

A fig tree showing fruit already....there is still a possibility of late frost.
DSC01186.jpg

The old willow tree is always the first to green up
DSC01181.jpg

Just some pear and plum blossoms
DSC01198.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

And lastly some weavers nests, they are very busy.
DSC01242.jpg

I'm really glad winter is overrr, we can get on with planting the summer crops :D

I am as excited to see fall and winter as you are to see spring. I used to hate it until I got into gardening. Salads are a winter crop here and a handpicked gourmet salad can cheer up a gloomy day pretty quick.

cow pollinater":4kdn0jzd said:
I am as excited to see fall and winter as you are to see spring. I used to hate it until I got into gardening. Salads are a winter crop here and a handpicked gourmet salad can cheer up a gloomy day pretty quick.
That must be why the california cows are so happy

Dave":37xro13g said:
Fall is just now arriving here. It was 36 F in the morning earlier this week. Spring is already sounding good.
It would seem that you are skipping fall this year and going straight into winter :)
cow pollinater":37xro13g said:
I grow lettuce right through the year, in summer it is planted in tunnels and winter it's covered with frost covers - if I don't put frost covering over, the lettuce gets frozen stiff and we can only start picking around 11am when it has defrosted.

I forgot to add that all the veggies I produce on my farm are organic.....until I see the first aphid :lol:

Some of the packed parsley and lettuce ready to go to town
DSC01255.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

I'll post some more pics as it greens up here :D

Froze here last night. My tomatos and squash are finished. Just hope the peppers survived. On the other hand the endive loves this cooler weather!

Good looking produce--and not a weed in sight--Your stuff sure beats what we see here in stores nowdays.
Ya got me hungry for some figs now.

3waycross":2v2dcvgv said:
Just hope the peppers survived.
So did they? You just reminded me, need to buy endive seed, looks really good in a salad pack.

Thanks ga.prime + greybeard :D

Greybeard, last summer I made quite a lot of green fig preserve. Last night we had a get together over a cheese and wine, I opened a bottle and sliced the figs, served it on the platter with the various cheeses.....man, it was good!

I am so glad we are hitting fall right now. This was the worst, hottest, driest summer I can remember. We almost lost a bull from the heat (might still lose him), and have several open cows because of the heat/drought. Goodbye summer, hello FALL!!!

Very nice pics Alison ! Your produce looks phenomenal and delicious as well . It must smell heavenly around your place with all those blossoms :D

I have never had a fresh fig. One of these days I will cross that off my list, hopefully soon .

hillsdown":2eqof0sx said:
Very nice pics Alison ! Your produce looks phenomenal and delicious as well . It must smell heavenly around your place with all those blossoms :D

I have never had a fresh fig. One of these days I will cross that off my list, hopefully soon .

I agree! Your produce looks great. And Hillsdown, fresh fig is very good!

alisonb":36w24pgv said:
3waycross":36w24pgv said:
Just hope the peppers survived.
So did they? You just reminded me, need to buy endive seed, looks really good in a salad pack.

Thanks ga.prime + greybeard :D

Greybeard, last summer I made quite a lot of green fig preserve. Last night we had a get together over a cheese and wine, I opened a bottle and sliced the figs, served it on the platter with the various cheeses.....man, it was good!

Just seeing the word fig makes me giddy. If i had a steady supply of those dam things i would end up hospitalized.

Ali do you have access to the baby frizee'. That stuff is great in a salad mix!

Thanks all :D

FSR - Hope it turns for the better, sounds like you've had a bad run.
HD - We have not yet had our first rain of the season, when that happens it greens up overnight and the veld and bushes give off their own scents, it is really special.
3way - I will have to get hold of a new catalog from the seed agent and see what they now have available. The last time I bought seed there was not a large variety to choose from, this is the one I planted but found it to be a little fine. I really liked the look of that Escarole you posted a while back ;-)
DSC01263.jpg

alison----everything looks so good! Those are some really pretty heads of lettuce.

Hillsdown---fresh figs, especially when ripe are fabulous!

Katherine

Impressive! And so weed free too. It always baffles my mind when you start mentioning your winter months as our summer. I just can't get used to that.

Latest posts