spring training, for the birds

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone on here get's into chasing pointing dogs around to find birds but for me it's kind of a therapy for my soul. Ends up being a place I can go out and be in the woods just me and a dog or 2 and the beauty of the woods in the spring. So here are some pics from today, had to get out and think as one of my dogs blew her acl. On a positive note we had 7 finds in an hour which is great on spring grouse.

Pretty proud of this little dog, she is a hunting machine as soon as she hits the ground.

That brings back memories right there. My grandpa was a big bird hunter and thankfully i was able to tag alone as a yougster. Those look like english setters, are they? English setters is what my papa liked, and its hard to top spending the day watching a good dog work. Sadly it aint no birds round here much anymore.

Sd1030":3l497k9l said:
That brings back memories right there. My grandpa was a big bird hunter and thankfully i was able to tag alone as a yougster. Those look like english setters, are they? English setters is what my papa liked, and its hard to top spending the day watching a good dog work. Sadly it aint no birds round here much anymore.
I at first thought they were English setters, but the stub tail makes me think otherwise. Maybe a white Brittany

double v":1glzi7o4 said:
look more to be llewellin setters, looked like a good time
That's what I thought except for the tail. That's still throws me.

Sorry guys she is an English setter out of field trial bloodlines, broke her tail hunting 2 seasons ago. The vertebrae in her tail was broke to the point it would have rotted off if I hadn't had it amputated, just like banding a tail, luckily her tail is a long way from her nose :) .

Sd1030 her mom is out of Pennstar lines and her sire Long Gone George. Here's a couple with her tail before she broke it.

The next two are the other setter I have, she's out of Pennstar and Starlight Jessy.

Unfortunately this little dog blew out her acl 2 weeks ago so we're waiting on a surgery to happen before she gets into the woods again. I've had other bird dogs as well but these 2 have blown others out of the water, ability and have set the bar pretty high for future dogs.

Nice looking dogs you have there. My grandpa used to raise and train dogs on the side. He never did the field trial deal but he did have some out of his bloodline that made it in the field trial deal.

Latest posts