spring or fall

Help Support CattleToday:

robdogtn

Reaction score
Spring or fall calves? I love hearing everyones different ideas and views. It makes you think about stuff you never have thought of before.

Thanks

I had a herd of fall calvers, sold them a couple years ago because of drought. Nursing cows take a lot of feed to maintain and milk in a cold climate. Those fall calves going on grass bring a good price. I liked Fall calving. With feed costs I don't believe it is now practical in cold long Winter climates.

we calve year round.makes things easier for us.in the last 3 months weve had 20 cows to calf or more.

robdogtn":2yrestih said:
Spring or fall calves? I love hearing everyones different ideas and views. It makes you think about stuff you never have thought of before.

Thanks

We calve in Jan-Feb. Those aren't the best months to be calving, but there's more demand for registered bulls in the springtime. We can usually sell all of our bulls as 14-15 month olds and not have to carry them through the summer or winter.

Ours always seem to calve in the middle of summer or dead of winter unless we A.I. them :roll: Probably not the best way to make money in the market but we always find buyers when we sell around December or we might sell the calf to a purebred breeder who wants to raise it.

we have both fall calve 9/1 - 11/1, spring calve 2/1 - 4/1. we have a few that calve between the groups in the winter but here it is not that cold. our creek washes out fence or this year ice storm has destroyed alot of fence. i like the spring calving best it is easier on the cow, but i like having the fall calves more options, i can market in the spring or if i have extra grass i can graze them.

Mostly spring (well winter) 2-1 to 4-1 and some in fall 9-15 to 11-15? not picky about the fall dates. Don't really do a regimental heat check for fall calving. If I catch one in heat & it's convenient to bring her up, she gets bred. Had all the fall calvers up close this year, so pretty much caught them in a short time frame.

I only calve in Feb and March. Starting next year, I will calve a majority of my cows in Feb and March, and the remaining cows in late August through September. 2 calving seasons. I can sell bulls twice a year, and get by with half as many bulls as I would need otherwise.

bandit80":1nutitib said:
I only calve in Feb and March. Starting next year, I will calve a majority of my cows in Feb and March, and the remaining cows in late August through September. 2 calving seasons. I can sell bulls twice a year, and get by with half as many bulls as I would need otherwise.

Great idea. Split herd up and have best of both worlds with half the number of bulls.

That is why ask questions, always another view that makes you go hummm.... :compute:

Latest posts