IMG_1046.jpg

peach trees in bloom
IMG_1041.jpg

fat black cows ready for warm weather
IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

planting is in full swing

Good luck,hope you are getting some rain...........been dry as a covered bridge around here.

First thought about the tractor picture was how large the 3-point disc is. Haven't seen one the big. Second was how do you get it to turn rocks. :lol2: Looks like you got some pretty good soil. What are you going to plant? Nice hillcountry style home, like the black cows too. Our mesquite are already greened out. :roll:

1982vett":1thzjial said:
First thought about the tractor picture was how large the 3-point disc is. Haven't seen one the big. Second was how do you get it to turn rocks. :lol2: Looks like you got some pretty good soil. What are you going to plant? Nice hillcountry style home, like the black cows too. Our mesquite are already greened out. :roll:

I got the biggest 3 point disc I could find,because I haul the tractor alot,makes it easier to just hook it up and drive on a trailer,it dont turn in rock worth a damn,took lotsa work to get these fields this clean,gonna plant improved red Top.
I only got one mesquite on the hill country place,use it to tell me when the chance of freeze is past,pretty hard to fool an old mesquite about freezes :D
thanks for the compliments................good luck

those sure are some nice pics.an the cows are enjoying the weather.we have a big athens pull type disc.an that joker will plow up a field real good.

bigbull338":4ld57t4z said:
those sure are some nice pics.an the cows are enjoying the weather.we have a big athens pull type disc.an that joker will plow up a field real good.

bigbull338,I use a chiesel to plow with,usually have too much compaction from cows grazing stubble to get by just discing,but you are right athens makes a good offset for plowing,the one i posted a pic of is a finish disc...............good luck

Nice Spring time pics, nice cattle too, and fine looking cropland. :nod: BUT where are the hills. :?

the big disc we have has scallop cutting blades on it.we have a chisel plow.but we never used it much because it wouldnt get in the ground to good.an also have a leveling plow to level the ground up.

mnmtranching":jk1legfz said:
Nice Spring time pics, nice cattle too, and fine looking cropland. :nod: BUT where are the hills. :?
IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

There you go..........plenty of those caliche hills around here :D
good luck

If you looked out my window right now- you'd be wondering where spring went to !!!! 25 degrees with horizontal snow because of the 30-40 mph winds....Chill factor is 10....

Not much snow sticking- as the wind won't let it get to the ground ....

Oldtimer":3laykb35 said:
If you looked out my window right now- you'd be wondering where spring went to !!!! 25 degrees with horizontal snow because of the 30-40 mph winds....Chill factor is 10....

Not much snow sticking- as the wind won't let it get to the ground ....

Well i hope we are done with cold weather around here,things are greening up, and I think my blood is too thin for cold weather :D
good luck

What are caliche soils? High in lime? Looks like some rich soil clay/loam. Good looking soil. Cows are looking good too. How do you winter them? They look extremely content.

Jogeephus":1cj7hqnw said:
What are caliche soils? High in lime? Looks like some rich soil clay/loam. Good looking soil. Cows are looking good too. How do you winter them? They look extremely content.

Yes Jogeephus,most of the soil in the TX hill country has plenty lime in it,the fields I work have had composted hay and manure spread in them for years.
Winter my cows on home grown hay and liquid feed most years, as its the most economical
good luck

Jogeephus":tkr3h1mm said:
What are caliche soils? High in lime?

It's what we haul from over their to over here.

Caliche is the hardened form of calcium carbinate. If you look closely at the pictures you can see the small rocks in the field. You can bet their are some large ones not to far under the soil.

Uses include: road base, concrete agrigate, used in making portland cement, fired and ground up fine it makes lime (white powder) for soil stablization.

It intrigues how such a product, in the form of aglime, has a benificial use on your fields and pastures.

Latest posts