Votes: 3 10.3%
  • no

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • yes

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters

alabama

Reaction score
It is the first week in Feb. in middle Alabama and a friend of mine is running short on hay. He can make it through March but is going to be short in April and May. We were talking and wondering if it was to late to plant wheat and or rye grass to to help him make the winter. He can buy some hay but it is running $60 to $90 a roll (4 X 6) with $60 only beeing fair hay. The pastures are cross fenced so he can keep the cattle off the planting until it gets going.
What do y'all think? Is it too late?

the reason that its to late is because once you get it planted.you only have 30 day growing time.an by then itll be to hot to get any grazing from it.personally to me its wasted money planting this late.

We flew in Rye Grass seed last week, too wet to get in the field. We have, in years past, planted oats as late as Feb 15 with no major reduction in yield. So yes I think it might work. The rye grass wont normally jump for us until we get weeks like this one highs in the 60s and 70s. I think it would be better than the hay option, if you can afford the diesel.

First I'd look for some cheaper hay. You may have to come to lower Alabama to find it, but it is there. This late in the game I'd also look at a mixed feed too, I'd just weigh out all my options and consider the cost.
Also if I was gonna plant this late in the game I'd look at clover to, seed cost more but less fertilzer req'd.

Ryegrass grows here until May 1-15th. Sure you got plenty of time to get some oomph out of it.

I tried some of the mixed stuff this year and I am very unhappy with it. Conditions have to be too close to perfect for it to come up ahead of the weeds. If he did just the plain rye grass I think he would be better. The way this winter has been so far who knows what the temps may be in May

I'm in central Texas and last year we were coming out of the 1996-97 1998 2001-02 2003 2005 -2006 dry spells. We had started to get some good rains in late October. Our pastures were so overgrazed and worn down that my main goal was to get them regrowing anything that would grow. I started renovating pastures and hay meadows and threw out 10# of rygrass mixed with 2# ball clover. At the first sign of greenup in late February to early March I fertilized the pastures with 200# of 15-30-15 or 150# 30-10-10. Middle of March fertilized the hay meadows 300# 30-10-10. I was assuming my only chance of making hay would be the spring grasses and was counting on only one cutting. Luck had it we kept getting rain regularly. Some would say to regular because the abundance of rain made getting the hay cut, cured, and baled before it got rained on nearly impossible. The point of all of this is that except for 1996 when we had a dry spring, growing ryegrass, oats and early season grasses is what I count on because moisture is usually available through May. After May if it stops raining and the heat sets in in June, growing hay is near impossible unless irrigated.

I will have to say my efforts paid off. In a normal year I will bale between 110 - 130 acres. Last year I baled 280 acres. The pastures recovered remarkably but the $1000 worth of ball clover was wasted. Only about 2 acres came up.

My recommendation would be to plant the ryegrass. If you wind up not needing it for grazing, bale it. The cows are going to need somthing come winter. Don't count on summer grasses for this years hay.

Good Luck

Economically I think it would be. Our cattle econonomist said you need at least 100 days of grazing to come out on it and that was before the fertilizer prices jumped so. That said, if I was going to do anything I'd plant ryegrass like 1982vett suggested. Look for a brand that boast higher yields as this normally means it is more heat tolerant thus extending its growing season into the late spring. Good Luck.

I've been waiting since late Sept. to graze my ryegrass. Very dry fall, then started getting rain but lots of cold weather, just put N on it two days ago and will start grazing after today's rain.

Planting this late is a gamble. Buying hay or feed is a safer gamble I think.

Well he planted Ryegrass over the weekend and finshed yesterday so with the shower last night it should come on up. I will try to let y'all know how it works out.

Jogeephus":3smeoq1l said:
Economically I think it would be. Our cattle econonomist said you need at least 100 days of grazing to come out on it and that was before the fertilizer prices jumped so. That said, if I was going to do anything I'd plant ryegrass like 1982vett suggested. Look for a brand that boast higher yields as this normally means it is more heat tolerant thus extending its growing season into the late spring. Good Luck.

Your economists opinion would also have to include the price of feed to be valid. With the price jump of feed his assessment may or may not fit today.

MikeC":6cz6006j said:
Jogeephus":6cz6006j said:

Your economists opinion would also have to include the price of feed to be valid. With the price jump of feed his assessment may or may not fit today.

Mike, I think his point is all the more applicable today as it was then; given we now have higher fertilizer, diesel and seed costs and lower cattle prices. The point he was to trying to get us to consider was the actual cost of maintenance. Personally I didn't like what he said so I did a little experiment of my own and found his figures were not far from what I actually experienced. It changed my management practices tremendously. I guess in this situation you would have to figure how many actual days are you going to be able to graze the wheat/ryegrass before the perenial grasses appear and divide this by your costs - assuming you get the rain. But everyone's situation is different.

mmmm.... I haven't seen the ground in three months so i would say planting right now is a bad idea. I didn't answer the poll as i assume it is a southern angled poll. its 6 here right now so i'm missing Dixie. I'm working on a plan where i can summer in Idaho and spend my winters in the Carolinas and drive down and visit all my southern friends.

Holy Cow you folks in the south have it different. We couldn't get into a field with out tearing it up. Thats if we could get in. We wont start seeding until late March. I have been trying to fertilize for over a month now. That usually ends with a tow chain and some swearing. :cboy:

highvoltagecattleco":3apkuv64 said:
Holy Cow you folks in the south have it different. We couldn't get into a field with out tearing it up. Thats if we could get in. We wont start seeding until late March. I have been trying to fertilize for over a month now. That usually ends with a tow chain and some swearing. :cboy:

We had some nice 65-74 degree days here lately. Ryegrass is shin deep in some places. The Tift 9 pastures I burned have already begun to green up and have about 2 inches of new growth on them. Perrenial rygrass has got the girl's attention as well as hay consumption has dropped in half. Things are looking good but there is still some winter months to come so I'm not going to plan the hay roll burning oyster eating party yet.

Of course, you must also understand we really don't have a spring here. We have mild unpredictable winters with some crazy temperature fluctuations then POOOF its summer with the 115% humidity and the 100 degree days. Its dandy weather for working outside.

Its pretty pedictable here. It rains from Nov.1 until July 5th. Then the tap gets turned off. The forests catch fire and everyone whines if it hits 90 with no humidity.

alabama":3a3gkseh said:
Well he planted Ryegrass over the weekend and finshed yesterday so with the shower last night it should come on up. I will try to let y'all know how it works out.

Give us an update. How is it doing.

I have not stoped and looked at it lately but I did talk with him last night. Where it came up quick it is ready to graze but where it came up slow it needs about a week. He put out some "N" about two weeks ago. It has also been dry with only one good rain in three weeks.
Short answer is about another week before turning in cows.
Hay consumption has droped off to about 1/3 of normal winter without the rye grass.

Latest posts