Spring Ain't Sprung Yet

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Woke up to about 4 inches of new snow- still snowing and they are predicting 4 more inches-- 10 Below for tonight and windchills of 30 below--Predicting 30 Below for tommorrow nite...BRRRRRRRRR And I was ready for spring.....

Couple of pics I quickly shot this morning as I was rolling out bales- old cows are staying pretty bunched this morning....Some didn't come out of their bedground down in the bottom for quite a while....I think they are ready for spring too......

snowycows001.jpg

Old trees on the river are pretty hazy this morning in the snow

snowycows002.jpg

Boss cow not treating a heifer too nicely

snowycows003.jpg

This must be an extra green clump that fell off!

snowycows004.jpg

Fed on the west side of one of the haystacks to give a little protection from the cold east wind

snowycows006.jpg

The black spot is old Jud-- even tho the gate is shut he knows his job is to protect the gate when I'm hauling out bales...

Love the picture of old Jud. We had a dog who guarded the gate too but he patrolled back and forth until the job was done.

They're calling for a wintery mix here starting tonight for about 24/36 hours. I'm hoping for snow but not holding my breath. We're on the ice/snow/mix line, that usually means ice.

OT - I like the looks of that dog. Does your wind usually come out of the East?

cfpinz

Help is on the way OT. It has been down right nice here for the last couple of days and it is moving slowly to the east. Might take a week or so to make it to you at the speed it is moving. Yesterday it was 54 with a warm southwest wind blowing about 15mph.

OT Spring is about sprung in the deep south. Robins are flocking. The big gobblers are showing themselves in public. Most cypress hammocks are greeining up already. Calves have just about all hit the ground. Had to shed my coat today. And the weatherman says turn on your AC tomorrow. I reckon there's beauty to be found in just about any corner of the country.

Your cows look like their Wintering real well, good flesh hair and everything they need to do good in the North country.

Nice pics OT. We had a little let up in the weather last couple of days, mid 20s and sunshine. Calling for -9 tonight and a foot of snow tomorrow night. I was wondering if the old cows hate winter as much as us old goats? :lol: But I still enjoy feeding cows no matter what the weather is like.

It finally quit snowing-- about 6 inches in all of new snow on top the couple inches we already had....But now the temp is dropping- down to 5 Below already tonite....

cfppinz-- Usually we get west winds- but get the east winds when a storm or the cold moves in....Weather boys say it could switch to the west and we'll get Dave's warm weather by the weekend with highs in the 30's, low 40's.. :D :D

Old Jud loves his gate watching job...Used to have to tell him down and stay when I started hauling bales out in the morning-but for the last couple years he doesn't have to be told anything- will just take up his guard spot and lie there until a cow (usually a snoopy heifer) gets too close and then he reminds them of who is boss, runs them back, and goes back to take up his spot...

Oldtimer":35qe0tff said:
Old Jud loves his gate watching job...Used to have to tell him down and stay when I started hauling bales out in the morning-but for the last couple years he doesn't have to be told anything- will just take up his guard spot and lie there until a cow (usually a snoopy heifer) gets too close and then he reminds them of who is boss, runs them back, and goes back to take up his spot...

I need a good Jud. I might need to work on that.

It was 62 here today. Glad I don't live up there with you.

Take care.

It spprung a leak here today. Rain all day and supposed to turn to snow over night. At least it isn;t freezing rain/ice

dun

we're up for round 2 here in wv.. school on 2 hour delay some county's are closed... snow ,sleet freezing rain.. gonna have this weather all week...yeeee hawwwwww!!!.. keep warm... Rose

They are saying we could we could get 2 feet of snow now! Flaboy, you got room for just one more old yankee? :help:

12 Below this morning-- no wind at first, but now its starting to pick up...Still predicting 25-30 Below for tonite- but then say it could be near 30 ABOVE on Thursday and in the 40's by the weekend...

I'm ready for it..

We are right in the middle of it now. They keep raising the expected amount of snow in this storm, started at one foot, then went to two feet, now saying three feet or more. Wind coming out the east, that means big trouble for us. I'm starting to worry about water, they drink from a open stream and it hasn't been above 25 for 3 weeks. It was flowing alright yesterday but with 3 feet of fresh snow and 0 temps, I'm worried. We need some of those 40 degree temps you were talking about OT.

rkm":2ij5kias said:
We are right in the middle of it now. They keep raising the expected amount of snow in this storm, started at one foot, then went to two feet, now saying three feet or more. Wind coming out the east, that means big trouble for us. I'm starting to worry about water, they drink from a open stream and it hasn't been above 25 for 3 weeks. It was flowing alright yesterday but with 3 feet of fresh snow and 0 temps, I'm worried. We need some of those 40 degree temps you were talking about OT.

Those 40's feel far away this morning--27 BELOW and an east wind--chill factor must be 40 Below.... I need to haul a couple cull cows to the bred cow sale today- but I'm going to wait awhile for the sun to come out...

Glad I don't have that 3 feet of snow...

Susie David":1twnhdw4 said:
And I was complaining about the mud on this side of the hills.
DMc

Not much mud here :lol: -- I just got back from hauling the cows to the stockyards and the warmest I saw today was 6 Below-- but with the wind going down and the sun shining it didn't feel so bad...Predicting 15 Below tonite- but depending on the weather site you believe they are predicting 25-35 ABOVE for tomorrow....Will be shorts and shirtsleeve weather :lol: :D

Latest posts