spreading manure

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
O.K. 20 acre pasture that has been taken care of and fertilized and in really good shape. If you ran 10-15 cattle how can you spread their manure to fertilize naturally? I don't even know if this is possible. Could you let chickens free range with them and maybe do it kind of naturally? Just kickin around ideas.

I think someone on this board posted a solution where they used and old gate attached to chains on the back of their tractor and pulled it over the manure to break it up.

tncattle":2bvcyqep said:
Do any of you guys actually do this for fertilizing and nothing else?

I have one field that I do this in. Haven't fertilized it in years since the inputs to the field excede the outputs. I use a chain harrow to spread the manure. (This field is also used to hay the cows - hence the inputs.)

I also have one field I spread the manure in twice a year (about a 20 acre one).. I have a drag behind that is made out of 5 big truck tires chained together. It works great...

Limomike":3cbqv9re said:
I also have one field I spread the manure in twice a year (about a 20 acre one).. I have a drag behind that is made out of 5 big truck tires chained together. It works great...

How does that field do?

the field does wonderful! It greens up, and thickens well. I dont like using sprays or fertilizers unless its just absolutely necessary.
I mainly do the spreading in the winter, and early spring.

ive used about every thing and most do a pretty good job but the best thing i use is a section of chain link fence.it crumble's and spreads it evenly. and spreading it will kill the fly egg's and larva

ALACOWMAN":2f3omdtp said:
ive used about every thing and most do a pretty good job but the best thing i use is a section of chain link fence.it crumble's and spreads it evenly. and spreading it will kill the fly egg's and larva

Do you have any weight on it, or have bars/boards to hold it flat?

Thanks

travlnusa":18tbyrwu said:
ALACOWMAN":18tbyrwu said:

Do you have any weight on it, or have bars/boards to hold it flat?

Thanks
i use a piece of channel iron on top side of the front end bolted though to a piece of flat iron on bottom. and nail a 2X6 to the back end. chain link is bad too wadd up. then i lay a couple old tire's in the middle for weight.it looks like you swept your pasture afterward

Latest posts