Spraying ground for fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

forrest

Reaction score
We have 15 calves on 5 acres. Pretty much a dry lot with this drought. We have lots of flies not so much biting flies bothering the calves but tons of house flies bothering my neighbors. I am trying to figure out a good way to reduce the numbers and was thinking of spraying the entire 5 acres. I have a small sprayer with a boom for my tractor and could spray the whole property fairly easily. I did a search and could not find any chemicals specifically for ground application fly control. Wondering if this is a good idea and what to spray.

To answer your question, not a clue.

Without knowing what you plan to do with these calves??
I would say your overstocked.Unless you have buyers for freezer beef, (you may have to bribe your neighbors with rib eyes!)
Time to sell is now.

PS, I have hardly much experience but it seems a no brainer to me.

You could put out bait stations like a Big Stinky or one of the throw aways or just psread a scatter bait in areas that people and animals can;t get to

Have some bait stations out. Seem to help. I was thinking of maybe making up 50-100 gallons of a permetherin spray and sprayng the whole property.

We are feeding the calves with a plan to sell them this fall when people are looking for stockers to run on winter wheat assuming we get rain.

I used to spray cow pies after I sprayed the cows. It seemed to help but I wonder what kinda of damage I may have done to other insects.
Why don't you get them into a small area for 2 days and concentrate the flies. Should be easy and not require 100gals of spray. That's how I give my cows some relief in the summer.

Latest posts