Spray tips

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog

Reaction score
I use a boomless sprayer with boominator tips and it works well for broadcast spraying but I need a tip that just sprays to the side instead of the fan shape spray that covers the back and one side.

I want to be able to spray under trees and into brush plus use it on roadside ditches without the waste of spraying behind the machine.

I would like one that connects to the existing plumbing for quick on/off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The Hamilton Boomless nozzles have two plates... one for 180 degrees and one for 90 degree spread. All you have to do is remove two screws and swap plates to make the adjustment. makes 1/4 fan spray pattern and no need to plumb for a second nozzle.
https://qualityfarmsupply.com/product/AG-SPRAY-ampersand-GUIDANCE/SPRAY-TIPS-ampersand-NOZZLES/BOOMLESS-SPRAY-NOZZLES/HAMILTON-BOOMLESS-NOZZLES/400-dash-65411

Another solution is to plumb in for something like this. it's a little more expensive as well butwould probably be a little more directional as well. I haven't used one to know for sure.
https://qualityfarmsupply.com/product/AG-SPRAY-ampersand-GUIDANCE/SPRAY-TIPS-ampersand-NOZZLES/BOOMLESS-SPRAY-NOZZLES/BOOM-X-dash-TENDER-HYPRO-NOZZLES/449-dash-XT024

My boominators spray at 90 degrees. I am wanting something that sprays pretty much straight out at maybe 30 degrees. Vett's fence row sprayer looks like it might work.

Yeah, Vetts on it with the hamilton nozzle for a minimum of mechanics, depending on how much you need to cover, I might just make a rest for the gun if you have one.

I have a sprayer with a 30' span with booms extended, I want to add an option to use boomless nozzles on each side instead of spreading the booms. I'm looking at the Hypro boom xtender nozzles but i'm not sure of the size to order.
My understanding is that if I have these nozzles on each side and 5 ft. in the middle with regular spray nozzles that I should be able to cover a 45' wide swath on each pass. I try for 15-20 gallons of spray mixture per acre and a ground speed of 4 mph. Anyone have any experience picking the right size?

Depends on your plumbing, your gpm, and how much pressure you want to run.

Plumbing:
There is the FC plastic half turn nozzle & cap for hypros mini boom and there is the full threaded (usually stainless) male threaded nozzle assy.

hyprofc.jpg

hyproxt.jpg

The plastic FC type imo (and it's what I use) aren't much value. NOT UV resistant and you need the rest of the plastic body to use them. A complete FC (plastic) body & nozzle is about $70 last time I checked and repair kit (you WILL need one) is at least 1/2 of that. (they sell repair kits for each one.)
hyproboomextendernozzles

The XT imo, is a better deal as you can screw it into any 1/2" or 3/4" npt female fitting.

I'm using a pair of FC-XT024 (yellow) 2.4 gpm nozzles with a single 180° fan nozzle between them on a home built spray unit. Covering about 40' swath at 40psi.
You are wanting to get more spray volume/acre than I am putting out so you will probably want something around 4.3gpm

Thanks Greybeard that's good information to know, about them not being UV resistant.
Also your supplier is much lower in price on the spray hose, I plan to replace all of the hose on mine this winter.
At 4.0 MPH and 40 psi with two of the XT010 tips I would have 13' per side and 5' in the middle, 13+13+5=31, so basically the same width that I have now but I wouldn't be dragging the booms on the ground in uneven terrain. The GPA at 4 MPH is 9.9 each so 19.8 GPA plus what my middle 5' puts out. I really thought they had a wider spray pattern than 13'

Here is an option for a boomless nozzle. Comes in several sizes for various gallons/acre and spans. Has plugs and blanks to allow you to only spray one side if desired. Webpage has a link to the product manual with specs.

Attachments

• boomless nozzle.pdf
    391.2 KB · Views: 2
I really thought they had a wider spray pattern than 13'
They do, (up to 16') but not with that XTO10 nozzle. It's simply too small of an opening to get much more distance than that without it turning into a mist.

XTO10 is 1/2" dia threaded nipple and the bigger nozzle sizes are 3/4" threads.

The diameter of the orifice in the metal nozzle(yellow arrow) is the difference in the 13' vs 16' swath. The blue plastic part is a diffuser and without it, you just have a straight stream shooting out with very little spray on the ground between the spray unit and the outer reaches of the swath.

nozzle.jpg

For what these things are, imo, they are over-priced.... and, I have never been able to find the diffuser part sold by itself.

I can get a little farther swath, but I have to tighten down the Pressure regulator, kick the pto rpms up and select a slower forward gear. I usually don't.

Here is an option for a boomless nozzle. Comes in several sizes for various gallons/acre and spans. Has plugs and blanks to allow you to only spray one side if desired. Webpage has a link to the product manual with specs.
I have one of those as well. They work great too but pricey. They have certainly gone up in price since I built my sprayer back around 2012.

They will put out the volume for sure.

spray3.jpg

Latest posts