Spray Rig for smaller acreage

Help Support CattleToday:

ValleyView

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend which sprayer would be adequate for around 60-80 acres annually? Mainly for spraying flat hay meadows and would like the option to be able to also put down liquid fertilizer but that's not imperative. There are several that fit my budget at Tractor Supply and Atwood's but nothing really jumps out.

Will be hooked up to Massey 240 via 3-point or or would consider pull behind. Thanks in advance!

Our local co-op will provide a 1000g trailer with booms for application when you get the product from them. Might be some thing you double check before purchasing.
1000g might be a bit much for that much acreage, but I do agree with Brute, lots of Co-Ops will rent a sprayer or let you use it if you buy from them. The problem here is that everyone wants it at the same time.

Lots of good options on farm sales.
No one around here rents sprayers, but for a few $ an acre they will custom spray with their huge sprayers.

The biggest problem with spraying is having the right conditions to spray and timing. When you get those conditions you dont want to be refilling... you want to be spraying.

The 1000g sprayers I was referring to put out 20g of water per acre, so 50ac per tank, about 3-3.5 hrs per tank to put it out. You are looking at a solid day, if the conditions are right all day, to spray 2 loads, including refill time.

Most smaller rigs are in the 10-15g per ac range. So you can do the math on how many refills and how much time it will take to spray with a smaller tank.

Basically, buy or build the biggest sprayer you can afford. On 80 ac of wide open you will probably want booms because the inefficiency of a bottomless nozzle on that would eat you up.

I built one similar to what Bigfoot has for a fraction of the cost of a commercial unit but I already had a trailer I had no use for.
The only downside to it is those totes don't stand up to UV light very well when stored in full sun. The top gets brittle after a few years but they are dirt cheap to replace. Mine is 330 gals but I usually don't fill it that full as it gets a little top heavy and I have some sloped ground.