Spotting keepers early

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
This Balancer heifer is 3 months old. She is already on my list to sell as a top replacement to some lucky customer. Her dam and grand dam are both excellent cows that really know how to raise a calf. This calf is probably 350 lbs already. If she is like her full sister from last year she will wean about 750 lbs and be about 900 lbs as a yearling. Her half sister that I kept followed the same pattern and she is about 1,300 lbs as a 3 yr old. What do ya'll think of her?

Looks fine to me. I can usually tell within a month if I'm going to like them or not.. I know their family tree pretty well, and know which ones I'm NOT keeping no matter how they look.. Leave a couple as possibles depending on how they grow, and then have a few that I'm pretty certain about.

For me this year there was 1 that is going to make me break my rule.. My first calf born this year comes from a cow that has vaginal prolapse, but no others in her family tree have had that problem.. She's from a great milker, and she's a talented milk thief as well, she's about 6 weeks now and about 250ish, and will probably wean right around 700.. she's got a good attitude, and I'm desperately short on heifers this year, so I'll bend my rules a little. The second likely keeper is from a second calver, raised a really nice heifer last year but was about 100 lbs shy of being heavy enough, but was meaty and well built, she was a good first try... This one isn't going to be quite as meaty, but is no hatchet arse either, Walks light on her feet, and should be about 625 by weaning, and isn't a thief. The 3rd one is full sister to one I kept last year, as well as 3 years ago. The one I kept last year is too leggy, and is a incessant fighter... She's just not suited to what I need, but I do think she'll make a good cow nevertheless, and I'll probably keep this year's sister too.. That'll make 3 replacement heifers for me, and they're the last from the Gelbvieh bull.

Hoss... I think she would look a lot better in my Tennessee pastures! :lol: :lol: When can I come get her?

All kidding aside, she looks like a keeper to me!

TN Cattle Man":2g9yxcfi said:
Hoss... I think she would look a lot better in my Tennessee pastures! :lol: :lol: When can I come get her?

If it doesn't work out with my regular customer you might get a chance :D

TN Cattle Man":1wkra3o3 said:

x2! Except substitute Minnesota for Tennessee :lol:

HOSS":291u22ks said:
TN Cattle Man":291u22ks said:

If it doesn't work out with my regular customer you might get a chance :D
You know how to get a hold of me! I am keeping some heifers from my herd around the same age... she would fit right in!

Brian

hoss she should bring you some nice folding money.the 3 heifer calves i sold to a family this year was hand picked by the family that bought them at less than a month old.

Latest posts