Sporting Magazine Discusses Border Closing

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
I read an article in a sporting magazine (outdoor life "I think") that had an exerpt from a Canadian who will no longer allow U.S. hunters on his property. Just curious what your thoughts are on this...

scan00015jt.jpg

I won't be buying any American-made machinery, or anything else. From now on my rule is 1)Buy Canadian
2)If you can't buy Canadian, buy un-American

So the last 5 items we've bought have been an Agrotrend dump trailer, Ezee-On disk, Agrotrend sprayer, Hagedorn manure spreadure and Tube-Line wrapper. Next tractor we buy will be Buhler or Valmet, depending on the size.

I am new to the cattle industry, and as you can tell I am from the U.S......

Who is controlling the borders?
Just what has it done to the U.S. market?
Just what has it done to the Canadian market?
What are the long term effects?

Thanks for your input....

I have an idea that the outfitter, that we use for a outpost cabin will be happy to take our $16,000 US, but if not we can fish in Alaska.

The Canadian market has been in a downward spiral ever since May 2003.
Alot of lost farms, broken marriages and suicides. The whole thing is really quite depressing. Back in the early 80's, we had all the processing facilities we needed for all the cattle we produced. Then along came free trade. All of a sudden we had American buyers showing up at our auctions buying our feeders and fed cattle. Before too long, they had outcompeted all of our local packers and we had no slaughter capacity. The last big plant shut down in about 1990. This was okay because supposedly we had a free trade agreement with the US and we were content to produce the cattle and let them be processed in the US. The only two big processors we have left are Cargill and Tyson which are American owned companies in Alberta. About 800 miles from here.
I think the 'No Hunting' policy is designed to draw attention to our plight. Many Americans, like yourself, seem to be unaware of the hardship this has caused many farm families. Americans have always been good neighbors to us up until now and it seems so inconceivable that they would be causing us so much harm. I, personally, have many American friends and they are great people. It's the members of R-CALF that really piss me off. This small group of ranchers seem to have no regard for the Canadian family farms or it seems any beef producers in general. The lies they are spreading about BSE are starting to erode consumer confidence in Canada making a bad situation worse. Hope that clarifies things a bit for you. Good Luck.

Cattle Rack Rancher":21rsiplm said:
Alot of lost farms, broken marriages and suicides. The whole thing is really quite depressing. Back in the early 80's, we had all the processing facilities we needed for all the cattle we produced. Then along came free trade. All of a sudden we had American buyers showing up at our auctions buying our feeders and fed cattle. Before too long, they had outcompeted all of our local packers and we had no slaughter capacity. The last big plant shut down in about 1990. This was okay because supposedly we had a free trade agreement with the US and we were content to produce the cattle and let them be processed in the US. The only two big processors we have left are Cargill and Tyson which are American owned companies in Alberta. About 800 miles from here.
I think the 'No Hunting' policy is designed to draw attention to our plight. Many Americans, like yourself, seem to be unaware of the hardship this has caused many farm families. Americans have always been good neighbors to us up until now and it seems so inconceivable that they would be causing us so much harm. I, personally, have many American friends and they are great people. It's the members of R-CALF that really be nice me off. This small group of ranchers seem to have no regard for the Canadian family farms or it seems any beef producers in general. The lies they are spreading about BSE are starting to erode consumer confidence in Canada making a bad situation worse. Hope that clarifies things a bit for you. Good Luck.

What would the response have been if the shoe was on the other foot, and the BSE cattle were found down in here in the USA, any one I had ever talked to said it took a lot more to take USA cattle into Canada than it ever took to get Canadian cattle into the USA. I feel for the Canadian farmer and rancher but don't go after R-Calf , go after the Canadian Government who is letting Tyson and Cargil steal your cattle. The reports that I have been seeing is that more tonage of boxed and deboned beef coming into the USA is more than before the embargo, and that includes boxed, hanging, and live. Before the embargo the USA was experienceing the worst cattle market it had ever seen due to the NAFTA agreement. The governments of both of our countries are putting the screws to our respective ag business.

Cattle Rack Rancher":mszsydm4 said:
I think the 'No Hunting' policy is designed to draw attention to our plight. Many Americans, like yourself, seem to be unaware of the hardship this has caused many farm families. Americans have always been good neighbors to us up until now and it seems so inconceivable that they would be causing us so much harm. I, personally, have many American friends and they are great people. It's the members of R-CALF that really be nice me off. This small group of ranchers seem to have no regard for the Canadian family farms or it seems any beef producers in general. The lies they are spreading about BSE are starting to erode consumer confidence in Canada making a bad situation worse. Hope that clarifies things a bit for you. Good Luck.

Cattle Rack- You blame everything on R-CALF, but you forget that every other Ag group in the USA (NCBA, Farmers Union and American Farm Bureau) have questioned the USDA's border opening proposal and came out against it....R-CALF has recieved more exposure because they are more vocal and open-- more active because that is their number one issue-fair trade----- but you have to remember it was BSE that closed the border... These American producers (over 750,000 in the 4 groups) who also have families to feed, are fighting to prevent the BSE issue from taking down their industry with yours.....

if that is how you feel dale maybe we americans should just boycott all hunting ,fishing cattle etc... in canada, and also take away the umbrella of protection that the U.S provides for your sorry behinds,then maybe that will make you feel better!!!

Oldtimer":3krnxqmj said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":3krnxqmj said:

Cattle Rack- You blame everything on R-CALF, but you forget that every other Ag group in the USA (NCBA, Farmers Union and American Farm Bureau) have questioned the USDA's border opening proposal and came out against it....R-CALF has recieved more exposure because they are more vocal and open-- more active because that is their number one issue-fair trade----- but you have to remember it was BSE that closed the border... These American producers (over 750,000 in the 4 groups) who also have families to feed, are fighting to prevent the BSE issue from taking down their industry with yours.....

Ot thats a laugh... who filed the injuncation to keep the border closed to live cattle and to close it to all Canadian Beef...R-calf

What would the response have been if the shoe was on the other foot, and the BSE cattle were found down in here in the USA, any one I had ever talked to said it took a lot more to take USA cattle into Canada than it ever took to get Canadian cattle into the USA. I feel for the Canadian farmer and rancher but don't go after R-Calf , go after the Canadian Government who is letting Tyson and Cargil steal your cattle. The reports that I have been seeing is that more tonage of boxed and deboned beef coming into the USA is more than before the embargo, and that includes boxed, hanging, and live. Before the embargo the USA was experienceing the worst cattle market it had ever seen due to the NAFTA agreement. The governments of both of our countries are putting the screws to our respective ag business.

Before the Americans started buying up all of our beef, we were doing quite well on our own. It was Americans buying our beef that got us into such a beef surplus in the first place. You came in, destroyed our packing industry. Pushed us to get our beef numbers up so that you could import more from us and then closed the door. You guys are kind of like the bully who encourages you to go real fast on your bicycle just so you can throw a stick in the spokes. I hope you've enjoyed watching the crash.

I think some folks are missing the point in saying the American goverment goofed up your cattle biz... More precise it was multinational companies who dont give a hoot about what happens to the cattlemen in there respective countries.... Anyone ever heard of anti-trust laws, they were put into place to stop the very problems we are seeing in agri-biz. They spend big bucks to grease the skids so they get their way. We allowed it to happen and only we can stop it.

DaleK":2hcj33ih said:
I won't be buying any American-made machinery, or anything else. From now on my rule is 1)Buy Canadian

So the last 5 items we've bought have been an Agrotrend dump trailer, Ezee-On disk, Agrotrend sprayer, Hagedorn manure spreadure and Tube-Line wrapper. Next tractor we buy will be Buhler or Valmet, depending on the size.
Dale, would you use an American owned cattle forum to express your views?

ollie":2wg5q6vn said:
DaleK":2wg5q6vn said:

Dale, would you use an American owned cattle forum to express your views?
OUCH!
That one might leave a mark!! :lol: ;-) :cboy:

Cattle Rack Rancher":wiodusnf said:

Before the Americans started buying up all of our beef, we were doing quite well on our own. It was Americans buying our beef that got us into such a beef surplus in the first place. You came in, destroyed our packing industry. Pushed us to get our beef numbers up so that you could import more from us and then closed the door. You guys are kind of like the bully who encourages you to go real fast on your bicycle just so you can throw a stick in the spokes. I hope you've enjoyed watching the crash.

Remember who let them in your government or our government. Don't blame the US cattle producer, I surley don't blame the Canadian cattle producer. Its the governments that need changing and the enforcement of the antitrust laws that are in place, but I don't see a Teddy Rosevelt charging up San Jaun Hill on the horizon. I'm sure there aren't anybody in Washington DC or Ottawa that has the backbone to stand up to the multinational corperations. RCalf is our only hope, both US and Canadian.

Abby":4kycswx7 said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":4kycswx7 said:

Remember who let them in your government or our government. Don't blame the US cattle producer, I surley don't blame the Canadian cattle producer. Its the governments that need changing and the enforcement of the antitrust laws that are in place, but I don't see a Teddy Rosevelt charging up San Jaun Hill on the horizon. I'm sure there aren't anybody in Washington DC or Ottawa that has the backbone to stand up to the multinational corperations. RCalf is our only hope, both US and Canadian.
I'm sorry I didn't proof my text very well it should be isn't not aren't. Boy my English teachers sure would be proud.

I agree with you there Rancher...if McDonnel and his bunch are my only hope I'll call the auctioneeer and the real estate man to have a big free barbecue and sellout!!!! Abby sounds like a womans name and I was always taught to be respectfull of ladies but Abby you sure do make it tough on me :x

Latest posts