spiders

Help Support CattleToday:

Hippie Rancher":2trkpgqh said:
had this guy in my bathroom a couple weeks ago.

:shock: :shock: That's not a spider - that's the stuff nightmares are made of, if one could go to sleep again after finding it in the bathroom, that is! <shuddering>

IHeartCows":2rd8pv7l said:
It's beautiful and today I saw it catch, spin in silk, and suck the blood out of a bumble bee. Pretty cool show.

When I lived in Georgia a wolf spider (I think that is what it was, anyway) built its web on the stationary part of my sliding glass doors. I used to love to turn off the inside lights and watch him/her catch bugs, tear the web down and rebuild it, and just hang around (no pun intended). It was very cool!

The only thing worse than a vegetable with hair (Lammie, are you listening?) is a spider with hair. If I found a tarantula in my house, I'd have to move...fast!

Around here we call them Banana spiders and we cutivate them. Last year we had about 20 hanging off the house, This year Nada. They can eat a grasshopper in about .37 seconds. I love em.Z

dun":1dot89wc said:

That's what I appreciate about you folks, someone will say they have a question about hairless, six-hooved cows that are left handed or some other out of the blue question and it won't be long before some of you wiz'es will put up a website with the right info.

Thanks
Cuz

we generally have 6-7 in the garden but this year only two. we thought it might be lack of rain and heat also. just pick the maters around them.
--------------------------------
hippierancher do you notice the tarantulas crossing the roads before it rains?

I HATE SPIDERS....and you had to put pic's of them on, I scrolled down real fast past them...we have a big garden spider in the mower shed I can't go out there. If I encountered one like Hippierancher, I think I would have had a heart attack on the spot. thankfully they don't get that big over here....one of my brothers is a spider fanatic, he feeds the ones in his garden, when we were over there last week he atemtped to show me one, he failed but everyone else looked on, as it was mateing, the only thing it would have mated with, with me was my foot.....aparently they like the dark and dank areas, they go under ground when it is to hot. that is why you will see more of them in the Autumn (fall)

My GF got bit by a brown recluse earlier this year.. The reaction stayed local to the bite mark and she got on antibiotics within 2 days, so it went away without a lesion. Since then, we've found two other spiders on the bed right before getting in (not sure if they were recluses or not, though) and we found a black widow hanging around outside the bedroom window.

Needless to say, we're gonna have the house sprayed soon.

cmjust0":18hnrtrd said:
My GF got bit by a brown recluse earlier this year.. The reaction stayed local to the bite mark and she got on antibiotics within 2 days, so it went away without a lesion. Since then, we've found two other spiders on the bed right before getting in (not sure if they were recluses or not, though) and we found a black widow hanging around outside the bedroom window.

Needless to say, we're gonna have the house sprayed soon.

I'm sure glad your GF is ok, brown recluses can be very bad news!

chrissy, i speed past the pictures too, and do the same to the tv if they are on it. i hate a spider, any kind. we usually have the garden spiders everywhere, but this year we have had only one, which is plenty. we get the wolf spiders, but i spray the perimiter of the house several times a year to keep them out. we had a iguana show up at the barn last week, it was about a foot and a half long, my husband found it behind a board against the barn, and asked if i wanted to see it, after i got enough distance between me and them, he shooed it and that sucker got up on all four legs and streaked up a tree. now i make sure i feed before it gets dark. now i will need to watch out for the big butt spiders that hang out in the trees after dark, as well as an iguana....bbbrrrraaaauuughh. i hope it went back to it where ever it came from, or from who ever let it out.
i really aint a sissy girl, except when it come to creepy things.

samm

Samm...glad to know I'm not the only one there on Spiders, don't care a bout anything else. You wouldn't have like the Lizzard we saw in Sri Lanka not sure what it was....think someone said 'Iguana' it was more like a 'Kimono Dragon' the size of it, it was about 4 foot long, that big I was glad it was a yards away from us. Thank God I didn't see any spiders.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I gotta laugh :lol: :heart: The only thing I'm really scared of is humans in large groups :roll: So where do I work?? In a store where I see at least 1,000 humans a day! :shock: Not much in the natural world scares me.

We also call these spiders Bananna spiders. Was great fun to walk the corfield edges in the summer and shoot them with BB guns. The things that kids do for entertainment :lol:

I do not see many of those around anymore.......maybe there are too many kids with BB guns running around.

ya know....that little voice we all have that usually just whispers to us a gentle warning??? well, my "little voice" told me not to open this topic, but......

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now, folks, I can handle alot.....as a nurse, you work with blood and gore.....snakes do not make me even blink, death does not rattle me....but.....................................

SPIDERS!!!!! If ya even hear a blood curdling scream coming from the direction of the O'Dell Creek Ranch south of Ennis, Montana.....it's ME!!! Don't ask questions....don't hesitate!! Just come running with a shoe and kill the little bugger for me!!!

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

I had a trantula in the back seat of my car a couple weeks ago. It was a real good thing I was stopped at the time I saw it or there would have been a wreck!!!!

sidney411":28rarm4d said:
I had a trantula in the back seat of my car a couple weeks ago. It was a real good thing I was stopped at the time I saw it or there would have been a wreck!!!!

a wreck!! I would have been a wreck if I had seen a trantula in my car stopped or not. the car would have stayed where it was I would never have gone in it again. so glad we don't have anything bigger than a house spider here.

I went to a lecture with my first husband once, on snakes and reptiles, I was fine I held a Boa, Anaconda and an iguana lizzard no problem, then the lecturer bought out this small container holding a trantula and chairs went flying I couldn't get out of the room quick enough. It gave everyone a good laugh, and hence we did not do the trip down the Amazon, which the lecture was for.

I have seen where people will take the webs from the garden spider and spray them with some kind of preservative that make them stiff. Then they will spray paint them white and mount them on black felt. Then they will sell them for big bucks.

It is also fun to throw a grasshopper into the web and watch how fast the spider can wrap him up.

Just for information - There are only three dangerously poisonous spiders in the U.S. The black widow, the brown recluse, and a couple of years ago they discovered another type of recluse in the Washington state area. The key word here is "dangerously" poisonous, as all have venom - it just depends on how allergic one is to them.

jw....I hopefully will never find out :) As for spraying webs that sounds like a good idea, I do think the web of a spider is a work of art, would look nice at Christmas sprayed silver or white and placed on the tree. One thing spiders don't like, it stops them in their tracks is to spray them with hair laquer lots of it, you can almost hear them cough :lol:

Latest posts