spiders

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Do you have any of the big yellow,black and white spiders around? Haven't seen even one this year--usually have one on the porch to catch all the moths that come to the light,but not one this year..maybe too dry?

We have plenty, come on up and catch a few to take home.

dun

think they're "Wilson" or "Writeing" or just Garden spider...Wolf spiders run on the ground(think) these guys make a big web,very pretty in the morning hung with dew..

peg4x4":3o6cv7zh said:
Do you have any of the big yellow,black and white spiders around? Haven't seen even one this year--usually have one on the porch to catch all the moths that come to the light,but not one this year..maybe too dry?

In years past we've had a lot of those. We call them "writing spiders." If they write your name in their web, it means you're going to die. :shock: I guess the drought and heat got them, though. I saw some early in the spring, but they didn't last. We didn't even have many grasshoppers this year. And it seemd like the ticks weren't as bad this year. But maybe because it was soooo hot, I just spent more time in the house under the air conditioner than most years.

peg4x4":1jma57vk said:
think they're "Wilson" or "Writeing" or just Garden spider...Wolf spiders run on the ground(think) these guys make a big web,very pretty in the morning hung with dew..

Well see there. I learned something new today. All these years I been calling them the wrong thing. Of course the other name I call them still works. The one I use when I walk thru one of their webs. Starts with a d and ends with a n.

I have a big Garden Spider that spins a web in the exact same spot every year. I have no idea if it is the same spider or if it is a relative... or if its just THAT good of a spot. I never bother it. It's beautiful and today I saw it catch, spin in silk, and suck the blood out of a bumble bee. Pretty cool show.

IHeartCows":2pq8htdl said:
I have a big Garden Spider that spins a web in the exact same spot every year. I have no idea if it is the same spider or if it is a relative... or if its just THAT good of a spot. I never bother it. It's beautiful and today I saw it catch, spin in silk, and suck the blood out of a bumble bee. Pretty cool show.

I saw one get a red wasp..spider knew it was dangerous,but got it wraped up...I think they only live a year,so must be a really prime spot! Had one in the bed of the truck..it held on real good going down the hway..

peg4x4":cjm0qohd said:
If there the same great big spiders here in indiana everyone calls them garden spiders and they are horrible around here

peg4x4":2ji6h769 said:
IHeartCows":2ji6h769 said:

I saw one get a red wasp..spider knew it was dangerous,but got it wraped up...I think they only live a year,so must be a really prime spot! Had one in the bed of the truck..it held on real good going down the hway..

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Alice

Frankie":1ttpm8wr said:
peg4x4":1ttpm8wr said:

In years past we've had a lot of those. We call them "writing spiders." If they write your name in their web, it means you're going to die. :shock: I guess the drought and heat got them, though. I saw some early in the spring, but they didn't last. We didn't even have many grasshoppers this year. And it seemd like the ticks weren't as bad this year. But maybe because it was soooo hot, I just spent more time in the house under the air conditioner than most years.
here in Indiana everyone is complaining about how many grasshoppers there are, they are everywhere, they dont bother me, but the ticks and spiders are also just as horrible

mystery74":3ccybfhn said:
peg4x4":3ccybfhn said:
If there the same great big spiders here in indiana everyone calls them garden spiders and they are horrible around here

:shock: Horrible????????????? WHY????? They arn't poison,catch nasty bugs,includeing grasshoppers...Pretty to look at.. webs are beautiful..whats not to like :lol:

One of the few times anyone will ever hear me scream like a girl is if I see a spider.
And I'm not afraid of too much...but a spider will have me running like an idiot.
A 500 mm lens took this picture from across the yard. No way was I getting close enough to use a regular lens.

No one can convince me that something that looks like THAT will not hurt you.
IMG_3909.jpg

good Im not the only one that thinks those garden spiders are just ewwww! Im not scared of all spiders but those i am

certherfbeef":35c1ek1p said:
One of the few times anyone will ever hear me scream like a girl is if I see a spider.
And I'm not afraid of too much...but a spider will have me running like an idiot.

I'm with you...seems like in the fall, all spiders are in a hurry to make new spiders. Walking between branches and bushes is not advised, catching the web on your head...I jump and screech and wonder if the spider is in my hair. I have seen big wolf spiders on the ground, covered with zillions of baby wolf spiders. Can't even step on them, don't want to feel the scrunch. And I almost always find a black widow or two under water troughs, and I leave 'em be.

We usually have them all over the outside of the house in the summer, but not this year. When the kids were little we liked to watch them grow up. It was a good life cycle thing. They get this shield looking thing on their backs right before they die. We read Charlotte's Web, too. Always makes me cry when she dies! I can't read that passage with dry eyes! :(

certherfbeef":2ghc7hh0 said:
A 500 mm lens took this picture from across the yard. No way was I getting close enough to use a regular lens.

No one can convince me that something that looks like THAT will not hurt you.

:eek: :eek: Certs, if I hadn't read it for myself, I never would have believed that you're an arachnaphobe! :eek: :eek:

Latest posts