Spent brewers grain safe?

Help Support CattleToday:

HanknCali

Reaction score
I've got a good resource for spent brewers grain from a local brewery. I'm wondering if it is safe to feed this grain to bred beef cows in their third trimester? I'm sure it's good feed just not sure if it is safe for cows that are bred due to the fermentation?
Thanks for your input

I have been feeding it with no problems but I only get about 200 lbs or so every 3 or 4 days. Usually dump out around 50 lbs or so a day to a group of 20 cows so they really are not getting very much.

Years ago we had a few semiloads we just dumped in paddock, cows made short work of it. I'd probably be a bit more cautious now though. Maybe start them off slowly and build up to ad lib.

HanknCali said:
I've got a good resource for spent brewers grain from a local brewery. I'm wondering if it is safe to feed this grain to bred beef cows in their third trimester? I'm sure it's good feed just not sure if it is safe for cows that are bred due to the fermentation?
Thanks for your input

Hank I get 30 tons + a week and feed it unlimited. I started off slow now I dump it out and free choice after 2 months. I have never had any truly ferment and never had an issue of feeding it.

pricefarm said:
I have been feeding it with no problems but I only get about 200 lbs or so every 3 or 4 days. Usually dump out around 50 lbs or so a day to a group of 20 cows so they really are not getting very much.

The amount you are feeding is just a treat for them and realistically is not worth you getting it. dumping 50lbs for a group of 20 cows is really not doing anything for them but a treat as its mostly water anyway.

Here is a couple videos of me getting grain and feeding it

https://youtu.be/hv4eguw38uo

https://youtu.be/GQLC4ujNps4?list=UUCvPiSCxKc5dp7hWazMchQg

Thank you for the responses.
Sky, do you think 1,200-1,500 lbs per week is enough to make it worth it for 12 cow/calf pairs so 24 head total?
Thanks again

HanknCali said:
Thank you for the responses.
Sky, do you think 1,200-1,500 lbs per week is enough to make it worth it for 12 cow/calf pairs so 24 head total?
Thanks again

That is the equivalent of a 330 gallon tote for the most part and it will help with protein for sure but it still isn't enough to see a drastic difference in cattle conditioning or enough to put a lot of weight on them. Its mostly water so you gotta factor that in. Its a good start but if you can add a calf gate and keep them some in a area cows cant go you will probably see a nice difference in your calves. I put out so much calves have opportunity to eat and grow. I had some awesome looking bottle calves on it.

Thanks,,, I'm really just trying to supplement our hay and also give the cows something different to eat. I'm thinking between the grain, forage hay and the pasture foraging they do they should maintain pretty good condition.
My concern was for the cows that were bred and the grain affecting their gestation and possibly aborting but I'm thinking it's pretty good to give to them and it's free so I can't beat that. Thanks again. Have a great week all

HanknCali said:
Thanks,,, I'm really just trying to supplement our hay and also give the cows something different to eat. I'm thinking between the grain, forage hay and the pasture foraging they do they should maintain pretty good condition.
My concern was for the cows that were bred and the grain affecting their gestation and possibly aborting but I'm thinking it's pretty good to give to them and it's free so I can't beat that. Thanks again. Have a great week all

Yea what youre trying to do is fine and should work. Just remember its not free if you have to haul it :D

Latest posts