Speckle park

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Ok. So I have some angus hereford cross heifers and I am planning to A.I them for first calving. I am thinking of using murray grey which I am familiar with or the new breed to australia Speckle park. Anyone tried these crosses or got an opinion?

Love to see your pictures.

Go with the Murray grey over your heifers Dave. Speckles are are a bit of a fad (apologies to speckle lovers) and the studstock overpriced due to limited numbers. And many are a bit snarly from what I've seen at shows. The guy who buys my steers fattened a few he bought in mixed pens and he wasn't terribly impressed. Said the ones he had didn't have grow out or gain weight as fast as the more traditional breeds. Could just have been the particular ones he got stuck with.
Murray greys should give you a nice soft little calf. As you will have 3 breeds in the calf you will get hybrid vigour so don't use a high birthweight bull. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I have heard the speckles are a bit fizzy! May stick with the greys. As I want to use a third cross. Red angus was my other choice.

OzssieDave19":1ana9jah said:
Thanks for the tip. I have heard the speckles are a bit fizzy! May stick with the greys. As I want to use a third cross. Red angus was my other choice.
Red angus is a cross that is being used here. Really like the good ones. I recently purchased a few Red Angus heifers. They will be mated to either Herefords or Black Angus. There is a demand here for the Red Bald Faced cows and they make excellent mothers.

OzssieDave19":26fjmh52 said:
Ok. So I have some angus hereford cross heifers and I am planning to A.I them for first calving. I am thinking of using murray grey which I am familiar with or the new breed to australia Speckle park. Anyone tried these crosses or got an opinion?

Love to see your pictures.

OD9-

I would be interested in knowing what "Multiple Trait Selection" choices you are using in your several options of mating crosses. What specific traits of your cows are you attempting to improve on with possible replacement heifers you may retain? Are you carefully planning a "Balanced" genetic mating program - - or - just 'mix-mastering' breeds?

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts