Special Cow Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

cowhand1957

Reaction score
The other day I was talking to a friend about getting some more bred cows because I just bought a new place outside Waco and it had some good grass so he mentioned to me that there will be a special cow sale at Hubbard Livestock Market along with the regular sale on March 17th. He said that there are going to be 200-300 good bred and pair cows. He also said there is a website http://www.hubbardmarket.com it also mentions the special sale.

Yea thats to far for a old feller plus i want some cows in the pasture now. From what i heard thet are going to be some really good black cows. Ive bought from Hubbard since the new owners have taken it over and ive been very pleased with the way things are done there. I always recomommend it now for buying and selling.

Visited the sale in Hubbard a few weeks ago. Looked like every cow that came thru the ring had already had 2 or 3 tags pulled off her back and the hide wore off her hips. Lots of trader cattle going thru that barn. Better know what you're doin'.

hey TB the cattle traders have to make a dollar as well.i know a fam that own 3 sale barns.an they catch the good cows that dont sell high enough.an move them to the barn that they will bring the most money in.that dont ean they are junk cattle.

As Bigbull said the traders have to make a living also. Nearly every sale barn I have ever been in has some trader cattle, some more than others. Just watch closely for the blowout marks made by old tags and look at the eyes and how the cattle hold their ears.

Never said traders shouldn't make a living. Just figure when most of the cows are trader cows "that's not good" for someone like me. I've probably missed out on a few good cows but ain't gonna buy one with bald spots where two or three sets of tags have been pulled off and all the hair and skin wore off from hauling. I'll let them be somebody else's "project" cow.

Heck I posted on another thread how you can use WD-40 to take those tags off without pulling the hair off as well as sale barn paint but guess they're in too much of a hurry. :roll:

You must have never been to a true sale barn its kinda hard to cover up a cow with more than 3 spots. A cow can only have so many tags ya know. Ive been to Hubbard several times and there are alot of fresh cattle being sold. All barns have trading cattle I was at West a few months ago and there was some cattle that came through and they had bald spots. And as far as paint goes, the only cattle i see with it on them are the ones that were aged and preg tested. I dont make the sales as much as i use to but i know when I did that all sales ran good ones and bad ones! I was at the last special that was held at Hubbard and they had some of the best cattle that i have seen in these parts in awhile. I guess I need to venture out more often an make more sales instead of making one every 3 or 4 months. Well since you think everything being sold there is "not good" why dont you come on Monday to see what you think you might be suprised! Im not going to be there because i have a doc appt. but im sending the son in law to get me 10 or so since i bought a few a Meridian on tuesday.

Cowhand every sale is gonna have some trader cows for sure. The one time I went to Hubbard tho it was obvious half or more of the cows were trader cows. Yep the bald spots were there. And every sale will have some good cows and some bad cows. Have bought cows so good I wondered why someone sold them to begin with.

But IF I were gonna I'd sure take time to remove the tags and paint from their bodies without leaving bald spots. Make them look "farm fresh". ;-) Never been to the Meridian Sale but have heard of it. Heard a lot of angus cows sell there because that's what the owner raises.