Soy beans?

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
I want opinions about feeding cattle soy beans. good for them? or not? advantages?

Great for cattle. Advantages, processing not needed, (most believe they should be heat processed however that is not required for cattle, They need to be heat treated for hogs.) Another advantage is the energy they provide, and the biggest advantage of all (for me) I grow my own. It has been recommended by several university studies to limit the amount of soybeans to meet the protein requirements of the animal. Any amount above this level can cause a few problems, however it can be done.

Big D":3iqvvsqz said:
Great for cattle. Advantages, processing not needed, (most believe they should be heat processed however that is not required for cattle, They need to be heat treated for hogs.) Another advantage is the energy they provide, and the biggest advantage of all (for me) I grow my own. It has been recommended by several university studies to limit the amount of soybeans to meet the protein requirements of the animal. Any amount above this level can cause a few problems, however it can be done.

What is this lieve? And how much land do you take up to grow these, for how many head of cows? Also how do you store them?

Thanks, Stephen

Big D":2kunuvwk said:
Whole soybeans can cause problems in cows too. However they must be fed in fairly large quantities to cause any problems. They contain an enzyme that will interfere with the animal if present in large enough quantities. This enzyme can be destroyed with heat treatment.

Our beans test around 34% protein. If a cow needs 2 lbs of protein your looking at feeding 5 or 6 lbs. We feed no more than two lbs. as they get protein from hay and other sources. Our beans usally yield around 65 bu. per acre, (Irrigated). As far as the enzyme that may hurt cattle, it is called urease. It would be cost prohibitive to feed cattle enough beans to cause any problem with urease, not saying someone wouldn't do it. Some theorize that feeding soybeans with urea would be devastating, I have never found anyone who has tried it and would not suggest anyone do it.

thanks for the response. I have been feeding my cows (21 in all) and black limo bull about a 5 gallon bucket once a week. they are not heated, but just pure beans.

Latest posts