Southern States closing doors Jan. 11th

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Our only coop/feedstore in the area is closing down Janruary the 11th , they took a vote from the share holders and it was either close down now or they would be bankrupt in six months. I have some shares of stock and the guys there begged everyone to vote yes on the closing instead of dragging it out. That way they at least left with a good name. The guy that takes care of all of their field spraying is going to come to work for us. He only has 12 months until he can draw his SS. But, hopefully he will stay with us longer than that. It is the only local feed store within 45 mins. other than pos Tractor Supply Company! Makes me wanna cry seeing it close up and nine people lose their jobs and the word just came down yesterday. So much for a Merry Christmas for them! Please pray for these guys and gals. Many of them I have known for most of my life and have given me a wealth of education and helped me out more than once. This must be the only coop left bearing the SS name from what I understand. SS doesn't actually own the coop they just use the SS name and buy stuff from them. The store lost between 18 and 28 thousand dollars six out of the last seven years.

Herefordcross":2937o8ia said:
Our only coop/feedstore in the area is closing down Janruary the 11th , they took a vote from the share holders and it was either close down now or they would be bankrupt in six months. I have some shares of stock and the guys there begged everyone to vote yes on the closing instead of dragging it out. That way they at least left with a good name. The guy that takes care of all of their field spraying is going to come to work for us. He only has 12 months until he can draw his SS. But, hopefully he will stay with us longer than that. It is the only local feed store within 45 mins. other than pos Tractor Supply Company! Makes me wanna cry seeing it close up and nine people lose their jobs and the word just came down yesterday. So much for a Merry Christmas for them! Please pray for these guys and gals. Many of them I have known for most of my life and have given me a wealth of education and helped me out more than once. This must be the only coop left bearing the SS name from what I understand. SS doesn't actually own the coop they just use the SS name and buy stuff from them. The store lost between 18 and 28 thousand dollars six out of the last seven years.

Hate to say it, but there will probably be more closings around the Country, due to TSC, and other competition. I'm amazed at the number of customers we have that dont spend their money at TSC, and I'm more than thankful for it.

Seems like when we see an outfit close up and evaporate, it's like losing a little more of our "Americana".

The worst thing is that TSC doesn't know a darn thing about anything, they don't sell seed fertilizer or anything else we use. We go there for bolts, grease, oil and a new winter jacket and thats it, Their 16% medicated calf started is $20/100. The coop was out a while back so I got a couple of bags from there and one bag weighed 43.78 lbs. and the other weighed 46.89 on my certified scales!

That's better than what happened last January at out local co-op, workers came in one day and all the doors were locked, no notice, no nothing. Gave a few of the workers jobs at the main office, rest were sol. Now I have to drive 35 miles to get feed where it used to be 10. The main plant did start a weekly delivery service to my area, 50 cents/bag on feed, other stuff varies.

cfpinz

We have a co-op here but this is mainly farming , rice, beans corn an cotton. They carry feed an salt an at inflated prices so we have to drive 90 miles north to a tsc to get what we need.
We could really use a local My Crowders feed an seed store here. At todays fuel costs it seems to be a longer trip each time.

curtis":1zjni0mb said:
We have a co-op here but this is mainly farming , rice, beans corn an cotton. They carry feed an salt an at inflated prices so we have to drive 90 miles north to a tsc to get what we need.
We could really use a local My Crowders feed an seed store here. At todays fuel costs it seems to be a longer trip each time.

Funny part about it is, most Co Ops are supposed to be non-profits. One around this area, I've been told is selling bales of grass hay for 7.00.

I remember going to Southern States meetings years ago, their saying was "profit was not a dirty word for co-ops". They began to hire store managers that had a business degrees but knew little about farming or the local customers. The local boards sold out to SS and no longer had any power to make decisions. Maybe it was inevitable but they just profited themselves out of business.

Nine people will lose their job. Lost around 28K each year. Seems to me they could let one or two people go and keep things going. I'd start at the top and let one go. Sounds like poor management to me. SStates IMO doesn't do a good job hiring managers. One's I've known do not want to work. I hope it will not be to hard on you. Have you considered getting some folks together and buying the place and forming your own coop? I know of one place that did this and they are blossoming. They seem to be able to make better decisions than SStates corporate office can and have turned a nearly bankrupt store into a money making venture and we thank them for it by giving them our business.

Latest posts