Sorting through opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed how every question here has a dozen or more different suggestions? There is rarely ever a definitive answer for anything.

I was just reminded when I read the question about how much someone should get for rolling a neighbor's hay. As for shares, there was every suggestion from 1/3, 1/4, 2/3, to 1/2, and various suggestions in use of equipment. That's the way it is with every question. So what is the op supposed to do?

I often tell my brother that I got on the forum and asked one of our questions we were wondering about, and when I tell him the variety of answers, he will say something like" So in other words there's no answer; we don't know any more than we did."

I'm not complaining, I actually find it rather humorous. I humorously ask myself sometimes when I'm typing a question, "why am I doing this?" I think sometimes that if a person has some knowledge about something, he may as well just make his own decision and go with it. It's sure to match at least one of the suggestions someone else will give.

Just a humorous observation.

Different answers reflecting differing parts of the country, or within regions. Plain and simple.

Same thing with price of hay-------------- the price of hay depends on the type, size of the bale, age of the bale and location in the country. where I am here, in Va. a square bale will sell for far less per bale than that same bale would sell for on LI in NY.

As for rolling hay, people work out different deals with other people.

Most people already have decided what to do when they ask. They just need another person to confirm that they were right. Others who don't know anything, like me, just choose one of the available options.

Workinonit Farm":11p2s8cw said:
Different answers reflecting differing parts of the country, or within regions. Plain and simple.

I agree. For instance the hay, we are averaging 7.5 rolls per acre this year so I'd do it for less than someone in another region who is dodging rocks and having to cover more acres for the same amount of hay.

herofan":1fob12nr said:
Have you ever noticed how every question here has a dozen or more different suggestions?

When I tell him the variety of answers, he will say something like "So in other words there's no answer
No your brother lacks perspective... It means there is more than 1 way to dehided a feline.

Son of Butch":sxiakmed said:
herofan":sxiakmed said:
Have you ever noticed how every question here has a dozen or more different suggestions?

When I tell him the variety of answers, he will say something like "So in other words there's no answer
No your brother lacks perspective... It means there is more than 1 way to dehided a feline.

I will agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and I am usually trying to decide if there is a best way. I just don't consider myself a master of farm knowledge, so I tend to think there should be a more definitive answer for some things; however, the answer I'm considering to the problem will usually appear among the dozen suggestions, so I could have just picked it and went on.

herofan":1c6u03y3 said:
Son of Butch":1c6u03y3 said:
herofan":1c6u03y3 said:

I will agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and I am usually trying to decide if there is a best way. I just don't consider myself a master of farm knowledge, so I tend to think there should be a more definitive answer for some things; however, the answer I'm considering to the problem will usually appear among the dozen suggestions, so I could have just picked it and went on.

The best way is the way that works best....

for you.

herofan":1qzj1ud9 said:
Have you ever noticed how every question here has a dozen or more different suggestions? There is rarely ever a definitive answer for anything.

I was just reminded when I read the question about how much someone should get for rolling a neighbor's hay. As for shares, there was every suggestion from 1/3, 1/4, 2/3, to 1/2, and various suggestions in use of equipment. That's the way it is with every question. So what is the op supposed to do?

I often tell my brother that I got on the forum and asked one of our questions we were wondering about, and when I tell him the variety of answers, he will say something like" So in other words there's no answer; we don't know any more than we did."

I'm not complaining, I actually find it rather humorous. I humorously ask myself sometimes when I'm typing a question, "why am I doing this?" I think sometimes that if a person has some knowledge about something, he may as well just make his own decision and go with it. It's sure to match at least one of the suggestions someone else will give.

Just a humorous observation.
I would think that every situation would or could be different thus the variations from one to the other answer. We're scattered around the world so expect some differences.....even if talking to a professional. Not much chiseled in stone these days.

If you don't have the answer to your situation how do you expect anyone else to.
You take the information you receive here and sort through it best you can. Some problems are simple and may have a very cut and dried solution. Mechanical problems for example.
Other problems are more complex and cannot be answered by anyone but you. There's nothing wrong with looking at it through someone else eyes though.
I of often ask about things were I already have pretty much decided my route. I just want to compare with others.
Also it's no secret there's a fair amount of gamesmanship here. Some make argue one side for the sake of argument. There nothing wrong with that. As long as you don't purposely give bad advice for the sake of argument or because you have a bone to pick.

herofan":15btrbsn said:
Son of Butch":15btrbsn said:
herofan":15btrbsn said:

First thing to remember here.
There's very few "masters of farm knowlage" on here.
There's some, and some that think they are.

Personally, I really enjoy all the various inputs. None of what we do is one size fits all, so i enjoy all the options until i find the right fit. One of the observations i have made is there are folks who give very narrowed and focused advice, while some give big picture (almost philosophical advice). I appreciate both.

Latest posts