Sores appear on old Brand

Help Support CattleToday:

LibertyIIE

Reaction score
Has anyone had an experience with an old brand turning into an open sore? Brand is several years old, no apparent injury.
If so, what treatment was used?

It's fine. That happens when the brand was held on too long when it was really hot. It will scab up and sometimes look like a growth coming out of the brand.

Wouldn't worry about it.

That scab you describe was the way it looked for several years. Now that scab has turned into a bleeding ulcer. The ulcer is about the size of a pie plate. It bleeds when she swings her tail over the sore.

LibertyIIE":2trhixmg said:
Has anyone had an experience with an old brand turning into an open sore? Brand is several years old, no apparent injury.
If so, what treatment was used?

That is a new one. I believe, if she were mine, I would wash it out with peroxide really well then apply some kind of wound dressing along with a good fly spray (non-alcohol based, if possible) to keep maggots from occuring. I would do this on a daily basis until the wound was healed. I would also watch her closely in order to determine if systemic antibiotics may be indicated.

We have one cow that has the same problem every summer. I've alwasy assumed the burn scar got sunburned and peeled and cracked.

dun

dun":2lf78ue0 said:
We have one cow that has the same problem every summer. I've alwasy assumed the burn scar got sunburned and peeled and cracked.

dun

Did the hair not grow back over the brand on this particular cow?

msscamp":1qbh0pcm said:
dun":1qbh0pcm said:

dun

Correct, it's still raw. She's 7-8 years old and was branded as a weanling

dun

dun":x74mlz0n said:
msscamp":x74mlz0n said:
dun":x74mlz0n said:

dun

dun

I wonder what causes that to happen. I've never seen it in a brand, but it did happen to one calf that was attacked by a mountain lion. The hair never grew back in a small area on his rump and it would sunburn, peel and crack. He ended up in the freezer.

msscamp":1ui35b9b said:
dun":1ui35b9b said:
msscamp":1ui35b9b said:
dun":1ui35b9b said:

dun

dun

I wonder what causes that to happen. I've never seen it in a brand, but it did happen to one calf that was attacked by a mountain lion. The hair never grew back in a small area on his rump and it would sunburn, peel and crack. He ended up in the freezer.

It'sa rib brand and I think they just over burned it when they branded her.

dun

dun":hqowjaq4 said:
msscamp":hqowjaq4 said:
msscamp":hqowjaq4 said:

dun

dun

It'sa rib brand and I think they just over burned it when they branded her.

dun

Our's is a rib brand, too. A few of our calves have been over burned, but the hair has always grown back in once the maggots and infection have been dealt with, so that reasoning doesn't really stand up to logic. Add to that the fact that the calf I mentioned was never burned on his rump, but the hair didn't grow back, and it leads me to think it's because of some other reason.

Could be. The others all grew ther hair back, just this one didn;t. Wouldn;t necesarrily have to be a brank, anything that would traumatize an area enough could kill the hair follicles. I have scars all over that don;t grow hair but there's hair growing right up to the scar line.

dun

dun":3ftpjadg said:
Could be. The others all grew ther hair back, just this one didn;t. Wouldn;t necesarrily have to be a brank, anything that would traumatize an area enough could kill the hair follicles. I have scars all over that don;t grow hair but there's hair growing right up to the scar line.

dun

Maybe it has to do with the depth of the injury, rather than the type. I don't know.

LibertyIIE":ogc3h8nb said:
That scab you describe was the way it looked for several years. Now that scab has turned into a bleeding ulcer. The ulcer is about the size of a pie plate. It bleeds when she swings her tail over the sore.

From your first post, I didn't think much of it. I have one 15 year old cow who was branded too deep as a yearling. The site would crack and bleed from time to time in the summer but she did fine. I found putting udder balm on the site helped a lot.

But, a sore that shows up years after branding and is the size of a pie plate makes me suspicious of cancer. Have a vet look at it. Many skin cancers on cows are only superficial, even if they look terrible. I'd have it checked if it was my cow, though.

Latest posts