Something to think about

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Over the last 18 months I've been watching a case where a goat producer shot several dogs that were messing with his goats on his property. This week the jury found him guilty of cruelty to animals and he will be sentenced for up to a year for killing the dogs on his property. I know many of us have talked about Shoot Shovel and Shutup. Apparently this fella didn't follow this rule and didn't shovel and didn't shut his big mouth but ran it all over town. Personally I think its his big mouth that has gotten him in this jam squawking about his rights etc etc. Anyhow, I never thought I'd see the day but it is definitely something to think about.

There is much wisdom in the SSS theory. Running the mouth can cause big problems.
Tom

Nobody knows and nobody sees, nobody knows but me.

CSM

Never understood why the people who move out here think it's fine for their dogs to run my property, scare my calves and chase deer. We try the neighborly thing first. If that fails, then they get a visit from the local law enforcement (or they get a trip to the pound). Haven't had to use a rifle. Yet. The dogs stay home but they make me the butthole for asking them to keep the mutts home. My cows stay on my property, their dogs should stay on theirs. Why is that so hard to figure out???

Had problems here a couple years ago with dogs running calves, we asked around and no one claimed the dogs. Talked to local law enforcement and was told to destroy them, said KY law says something about protecting livestock. I never got the chance to do anything and the dogs disappeared shortly later, a few people in the area were read to shoot them.

I can see were animal rights people would take this to issue and come after someone.

Had that problem here and one time actually saw the neighbors cheering the dog on from the end of their driveway. Obviously talking to them would have been futile so called the cops. Told the officer over the phone what happened and the FIRST thing out of his mouth was, "shoot it"! I said "really, just shoot it'? He said that it didn't sound like their was much point in trying to be neighborly so I had every right to dispose of the problem. Even gave me his name to refer back to.

tom4018":2pmj00q2 said:
Had problems here a couple years ago with dogs running calves, we asked around and no one claimed the dogs. Talked to local law enforcement and was told to destroy them, said KY law says something about protecting livestock. I never got the chance to do anything and the dogs disappeared shortly later, a few people in the area were read to shoot them.

I can see were animal rights people would take this to issue and come after someone.

Maybe a "few" people in the area actually know the meaning of SSS :shock:

Angus Cowman":1plli62l said:
in the state of Missouri a dog can go anywhere,anytime he wants but as a livestock owner I have the right to destroy it, if it is harrassing or harming my livestock
I cannot bait the animal with intent to do it harm ( set traps to catch it)

We have a similar law which makes this a head scratcher. The fella going to jail is also a deputy or should I say was a deputy. I think he will be welcomed with open arms in jail. :shock: My suspicion is that his loud mouth yacking about his rights for the past 18 months before the trial put him on this course. I think the jury is made this to humble the guy.

I know this will be strange because it comes from CA. In rural areas, if your dog runs my livestock or injury occurs because of the chase, I can go to you with gun in hand and offer it to them to take care of the problem themselves or they must allow me to handle it for them. There is no second chances in the law.

The Sacramento area) recently had a trial of a large rancher that shot and killed a hiker's dog that was seen chasing his cattle within his fence. The rancher shot the dog. The rancher was held to have been protecting his cattle. But had to go to trial to get the ruling. :clap:

kerley":2nnjv47s said:
......There is much wisdom in the SSS theory. Running the mouth can cause big problems........

- Most people can shoot.
- Some people shovel.
- Few people can shutup.

Lots of cases around here are solved because people talk about what they did.

Remember the old WWII saying - "Loose Lips sinks Ships"

Heard about a stockyard south of us having a problem with the subdivision "fidos" coming in and attacking the calves in pens. They contacted sheriff's office, the pound and as many neighbors as they could.
were told to shoot the dogs. They put a big ad in the local paper, then shot the dogs.
The neighbors were up in arms, but with all the reports and I think they also had pictures of the dogs doing it, the neighbors didn't have a leg to stand on.

I still support the SSS, especially the Shut Up part. That needs to be remembered.