Something to consider

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
This is an excerpt from an article I was reading this morning and it gave me thought, so I am sharing. What do you think? The beef industry has not focused as greatly on the nutritional components of milk produced. While a certain consideration may be given to overall milk volume, components such as protein, fat and lactose are generally seldom considered.

It should be considered: If a cow is capable of producing 20 pounds of milk per day, at a fat content of 3.5 percent, that cow is producing 0.7 pound of fat every day. Spread over a 210-day nursing period, this totals 147 pounds of fat. Similarly, if the cow's milk averages 3 percent protein, it is producing 0.6 pound of protein per day and 126 pounds of protein over the same nursing period.

If that same cow has the genetic potential to produce 25 pounds of milk per day, at the same levels of fat and protein production, its daily levels of production are 0.875 and 0.75 pound, respectively. Over the nursing period, the cow can potentially produce 183.75 pounds of fat (36.75-pound increase) and 157.5 pounds of protein (31.5-pound increase). These increases in both milkfat and protein can serve to increase growth rates in the calf. Conversely, through improved nutrition, the cow may increase milk production as well as both fat and protein production.

We can select for cows with higher milking potential and birth, and both EPD and direct animal selection are effective tools. However, with the goal to produce a heavier calf, and thus more pounds of beef, we need to keep a couple of factors in mind. The higher-milk-producing cow will need a stronger nutritional base. This may potentially cost the producer more. Thus, the return on investment must be considered. Secondly, again, through proper nutrition it may also be possible to support better milk components and thus increase nutrient density of the milk. This, again, will serve to potentially improve calf growth.

Conclusions
While it is important to keep costs down, it is also critical to be sure your program is maintained. Even relatively small, incorrect choices can have dramatic effects. Recognize and evaluate where all production costs are derived. Then ask, "Is this something I can truly afford to compromise?" In many cases the answer will be "no," and your overall profitability will be higher because you made what initially feels like a wrong decision. end mark

PHOTO: Cows with strong milk potential must be carefully matched with their environment and nutritional program. Staff photo.

Dr. Steve Blezinger is a management and nutritional consultant with an office in Sulphur Springs, Texas. He can be reached at (903) 352-3475. Follow him on Facebook at Reveille Livestock Concepts.

Steve Blezinger
Steve Blezinger
Nutritional and Management Consultant
Reveille Livestock Concepts
Email Steve Blezinger
Before commenting on our articles, please note our Terms for Commenting.

TennesseeTuxedo":2bfwu5ld said:
I'd like to comment on your article but I'm not sure of the terms.
I literally just LOL'ed.
Seriously it is a good topic. Those Charolais/Jersey mamas are sounding better and better.

It's not practical to measure for those things in a beef herd. What should get you close is breeding for a calf that is a high % of it's dams weight well mantaing a good breed back time

I think in a 'round about way milk quality is being tested. The beef guy tests it by monitoring of calf weaning weights or the pounds of meat on the ground which is exactly what that cows milk went to produce. In my mind I see heavier w.w. of calves in comparison to other calves in its herd is a good milk quality check. Sure there are other factors going into weaning weights such as genetics but if all other calves have the same sire then wouldn't that kinda cancel out?

We have had conversations with many beef producers about the milk yield, fat and protein of beef cows.

One comment that came up, is that the component content of the milk will vary from season to season. Cows that calve in the spring and are out of good green forage high in protein and will produce more volume of milk, cows that calve in the fall will be eating more forage in the form of hay and in many cases stockpiled grasses which will result in less volume of milk.

The reason for the comment above is that many producers see calves whither they are born in the spring or the fall still grow and the cow from either scenario can wean a good calf.

The difference is in the components. The cow on the green grass while producing a larger volume of milk, will more than likely be lower in components. The cow on the hay and stockpiled forage won't be producing the large volume of milk, but her components will be higher.

None of the current genomic beef tests offers any indication for the components. Neogen/GeneSeek does have a test for the dairy animals it is a Basic Plus which includes milk, fat and protein along with the cheese test (kappa casein, beta casein and beta lactoglobulin).

Some breeders and producers have expressed interest that they feel that knowing this information can aid in making some breeding decisions.

https://www.progressivedairy.com/topics/a-i-breeding/what-you-need-to-know-about-a2

The cow on the green grass while producing a larger volume of milk, will more than likely be lower in components. The cow on the hay and stockpiled forage won't be producing the large volume of milk, but her components will be higher.
Not sure that this is 100% true. The restriction of a cow's intake before her lactation peaks restricts her entire production for that lactation period. A cow predisposed to produce a higher volume of milk will sacrifice reproduction and body condition to maintain production. A calf that has high EPDs for WW or higher growth potential will also demand more milk from the cow.

No free lunches.

Bonsma keyed in on levels of butterfat so that cattle produced less overall volume but to supply a higher plain of nutrition to the calf. So his selection efforts were towards butterfat levels in the milk from a genetic type selection and not so much focused on a purely feed based production.

The fullblood Simmental has/had a high butterfat content. For that reason, dairymen bred & milked 1/2 bloods to raise the butterfat in their tank. They were paid more on the butterfat %.
You can test the components of your cows milk just like a dairyman does. But, ww tells us what we need to know, if you actually compare apples to apples and calculate a 205 day weight. You have to adjust for age of calf to compare them.

Ebenezer":dk0bh9sd said:
https://www.progressivedairy.com/topics/a-i-breeding/what-you-need-to-know-about-a2

The cow on the green grass while producing a larger volume of milk, will more than likely be lower in components. The cow on the hay and stockpiled forage won't be producing the large volume of milk, but her components will be higher.
Not sure that this is 100% true. The restriction of a cow's intake before her lactation peaks restricts her entire production for that lactation period. A cow predisposed to produce a higher volume of milk will sacrifice reproduction and body condition to maintain production. A calf that has high EPDs for WW or higher growth potential will also demand more milk from the cow.

No free lunches.

Bonsma keyed in on levels of butterfat so that cattle produced less overall volume but to supply a higher plain of nutrition to the calf. So his selection efforts were towards butterfat levels in the milk from a genetic type selection and not so much focused on a purely feed based production.

Ebenezer you seem pretty well versed in Bonsmas selection criteria. I've read what I can find online. Where did you learn about it? I'd like to buy his books at some point but they are expensive.

Dsteim":2q69y4x0 said:
Ebenezer":2q69y4x0 said:

No free lunches.

Ebenezer you seem pretty well versed in Bonsmas selection criteria. I've read what I can find online. Where did you learn about it? I'd like to buy his books at some point but they are expensive.
Will send you some links later.

Latest posts