Something good to feed along with hay

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
What y'all feeding along with hay this year. My hay supply is hopefully enough to make it but I'm
Feeding a 16% pellet along with it to help stretch things would y'all recommend feeding something differebg or is the 16% good as anything.

+1 on the whole cotton seed. My first year feeding it and ive only been feeding it roughly 2wks but im starting to see a difference in my cattle. Also it seems to me that their milk production is up as well. Im looking forward to seeing how they do as I continue to feed it.

Sd1030":1rnm3eo3 said:
+1 on the whole cotton seed. My first year feeding it and ive only been feeding it roughly 2wks but im starting to see a difference in my cattle. Also it seems to me that their milk production is up as well. Im looking forward to seeing how they do as I continue to feed it.

How many pounds are you giving them ?

Im trying to feed somewhere around 5lbs/head so its around 150lbs a day or so. While im no expert by any means i can truly see a difference in just the short time ive been feeding it. Cows are walking round with udders that are full as can be, crazy how its helped milk production. Some may think i sound crazy but all i know is its a definite visual difference in my cattle.

Sd1030":2cu3s60t said:
Im trying to feed somewhere around 5lbs/head so its around 150lbs a day or so. While im no expert by any means i can truly see a difference in just the short time ive been feeding it. Cows are walking round with udders that are full as can be, crazy how its helped milk production. Some may think i sound crazy but all i know is its a definite visual difference in my cattle.

Are you feeding straight WCS or a mix? I'm feeding a mix that has 10% whole cotton seed for the first time this year and there is a noticeable difference in everything I'm feeding it too.

Im just feeding straight wcs. Ive considered mixing it with oats but I haven't got any yet and i may not since this seems to be working. Im just a lil worried bout the issues with gossphyl( spelling prolly aint right) so im trying to keep it at the low end of the recommended lbs/per day per animal.

Im not real sure about it for calves. I think i read they only recommend like .5/lb a day for calves that are 450-650. I don't worry to much bout my calves getting to much bc the mamas get most of it before they really can get much. Maybe someone with a lil more experience can offer a lil better input.

DCA farm":344lprv4 said:
What y'all feeding along with hay this year. My hay supply is hopefully enough to make it but I'm
Feeding a 16% pellet along with it to help stretch things would y'all recommend feeding something differebg or is the 16% good as anything.

Brewers grain and ddg silage

DCA farm":2qbgltxr said:

Range meal or referred to as 2-1-1
Two parts corn one CSM one salt as limiter.
Currently 310 a ton in my area.

Caustic Burno":qxcuvxd8 said:
DCA farm":qxcuvxd8 said:

CB, are you saying 1000 lb corn, 500 lbs wcs and 500 lbs salt? I mix 50 - 50 corn and wcs, add 100lb of mineral, 50lb salt and 50 lb baking soda per ton.

True Grit Farms":nbmv2mtk said:
Caustic Burno":nbmv2mtk said:
DCA farm":nbmv2mtk said:

CB, are you saying 1000 lb corn, 500 lbs wcs and 500 lbs salt? I mix 50 - 50 corn and wcs, add 100lb of mineral, 50lb salt and 50 lb baking soda per ton.

Yes very popular supplement along with
2-1 66% CSM 33%salt depending on hay quality and supply.

Caustic Burno":3c3p9zuk said:
True Grit Farms":3c3p9zuk said:
Caustic Burno":3c3p9zuk said:

Yes very popular supplement along with
2-1 66% CSM 33%salt depending on hay quality and supply.
I take it's all fed free choice? WCS is $0.07.25lb, corn is $0.07.2lb and salt is $0.11lb. Having to feed every other day is time consuming but looks to be a way cheaper route.

Latest posts