Something different

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I sometimes drive a Dodge 2500 with a 6.4 hemi when I deliver horse trailers from the factory. It has 621,000+ miles on it and recently most things on the dash dealing with mileage, fuel mileage, distance to empty all just quit. It has been determined that the speedometer is built to register up to 1 million kilometers. 1,000,000 kilometers is 621,000+ miles. Only fix seems to be changing the dash. Anyone ever seen this before?

Try a TIPM reset
If that doesn't work it may need to be reprogrammed at the dealer.

A tipm reset allows for complete discharge of all electrical power stored in the vehicle. Today's vehicles store power in more then just the battery. A tipm reset allows all power to be drained from all parts of the vehicle to allow a complete reset of all electrical components in the vehicle.kind of like a hard rest on a home computer.
Disconnect both positive and negative battery post for at least 10 minutes I would suggest at least 30 minutes.
Many components of the computer systems in vehicles can be reset or modified by dealer or other computers . I would try to have that done before changing out the dash cluster.

What year is your truck? Does everything else work besides odometer-related stuff? You can buy used clusters online (just make sure to document mileage because of the legal stuff)

I had this happen to an old GMC Yukon. (gasser with over 300k) But, the entire dash cluster quit working. It was the electronics in the dash that had gone bad. I bought a new dash cluster from an online place (it has to be programmed for your vehicle). And everything worked again.

Dashes are overrated. Check the gas and fill it up with oil. On the mileage thing just check MapQuest.

Forget MapQuest, I just use a compass and the position of the sun. 🧭
You laugh but I drove half way across Ohio that way once 3 years ago because the interstate was closed and I had no GPS. Just kept turning on roads that went southeast. Still tickles my kids to tell that story.

You laugh but I drove half way across Ohio that way once 3 years ago because the interstate was closed and I had no GPS. Just kept turning on roads that went southeast. Still tickles my kids to tell that story.
I still do that. I love the back roads if I am not in a hurry and can wander, as long as I am headed in the right general direction. I took my kids to FL once and we drove 2 lane roads right through the heart of SC. It was a really interesting trip.

Years ago when I was young we were headed to Cody Wyoming, and dad said he knew of a short cut thru the Red Desert. Well it was not long before the pavement ran out and we were on a two track road thru the sagebrush in the car (Mercury Grand Marquis). My sister thought for sure he was lost, we finally made it to Cody, but it was a more of a long cut.

Probably the best bet on the truck is get a dash cluster. IMO Dodge should fix that.

Last edited: