Someone stop the rain!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Saltydawg

Reaction score
Ok I know some of you are having drought problems and I feel for ya but it's rained 9 out of 10 days here the last month.

I still have field work to do before winter!!

I had great summer growth of grass and hay because of the wet weather but if it don't stop raining soon it's all gonna be wasted.

Trust me you DO NOT want to bad mouth the rain. We were doing that about 3 years ago. Thats also about how long it has been since we have had 9 out of 10 days of rain.

Saltydawg":8cpablyu said:
Ok I know some of you are having drought problems and I feel for ya but it's rained 9 out of 10 days here the last month.

I still have field work to do before winter!!

I had great summer growth of grass and hay because of the wet weather but if it don't stop raining soon it's all gonna be wasted.

I hear ya, we're having a devil of a time getting 4th cutting put up - that doesn't mean I'm going to cuss the rain, though. It's been too long coming! ;-)

North Central Oklahoma I have seen .6" of rain since March in my personal rain gage. We have had storms pass with in 1 mile of the farm dropping as much as 2" or more of rain. Our grass looks like it is still part brown from the winter of last year with hardly any growth. I've only had to mow our yard 2 times this year. The only thing that has done good this year are the dang weeds.
Man feel fortunate about even a drop it's a blessing.

Dried up and parched,
Rocket

When ever you start feeding hay chop your remainder and feed it green. We will do it again this year. It is a little more work, but worth it.

Saltydawg":37r66t7n said:

Auctionboy's post reminded me of something - since the weather is too wet to put up hay, why couldn't you make baleage out of it? I have no personal experience with baleage but, as I understand it based on posts on these boards, baleage is the hay equivalant of silage, and silage is put up wet and is an excellent feed. Yes, it will undoubtedly entail extra cost, but it may prove to be better than losing the entire hay crop. Your thoughts?

That is what we considered but ground moisture was the problem so we could get that large balage making implaments on the field so I said cut it and rake it with the small stuff and pick it up with the small stuff.

We have people wanting hay for horses, but we can't get it dry. Had to turn down possible customers. I think we might gear up for balage nextyear. Probably be hot and dry if we do. :roll: :roll:

My fields are so soft right now if i dragged the baler out there and started rolling I'd need the dozer and winch to get me back out and if I didnt get stuck I'd have to plow everything up and replant cause of the ruts.

I had considered baleage but, someone correct me if im wrong, doesnt baleage only work good on green hay?
Actual water will just make mold inside the bag I thought?

I'll prolly just have to do like auctionboy said and feed it green off the fields if the rain ever stops.

It's all about you % of moisture whether in the forage naturally or in the form of rain but, once it starts gettin' rained on the quality drops rather quickly.

Latest posts