somebody give knowledge

Help Support CattleToday:

3rdgeneration farmer

Reaction score
cow birthed calf on tuesday in about 10inch of snow. then on wed and thurs we had ice storm. cow has raised it so far. friday, saturday, and sunday were all better weather. sunday was actually sunny and the calf was doin good at 9am, but the calf was laying lifeless sunday at 3pm. vet gave Micotil at 4pm sunday and this morning its much of the same. cant see how it went bad in that short period. No snots and no craps. low grade fever and lifeless. any suggestions?

3rdgeneration farmer":1t0accch said:
cow birthed calf on tuesday in about 10inch of snow. then on wed and thurs we had ice storm. cow has raised it so far. friday, saturday, and sunday were all better weather. sunday was actually sunny and the calf was doin good at 9am, but the calf was laying lifeless sunday at 3pm. vet gave Micotil at 4pm sunday and this morning its much of the same. cant see how it went bad in that short period. No snots and no craps. low grade fever and lifeless. any suggestions?

pnuemonia?

Unload all your pneumonia guns asap - banamine, nuflor (or equivalent), etc . . . do not pass go, don not collect $200

navel ill. Pnemonia. and since the calf was stressed, not enough of a passive transfer of colostrum. A stressed calf needs more than normal. And finally, crypto or the colostridial prefigenent (sp) disease. I always get the two diseases confused...but the other name is the over eating disease. A calf in a storm will not nurse because it is in hiding and protecting itself from the elements. However when there is a break in the storm, the calf will suck the momma and gorge itself. What happens is the natural flora in the gut go into overdrive and over produce, producing toxins which enter the body. A relatively quick and sudden illness and death---no cure

So 3 weeks ago you're asking about your calf and now you come back and ask Susie if she is in the flood. Did the calf die, get better, or just getting by? Was it e-coli, pneumonia, or was it just overly exhausted and just kicking back for awhile? I'm betting he's stiffer than a board. An I can't understand why people come on, asking for suggestions on a problem, get good suggestions, and never come back and let us know what the results were. Some of us, that don't know everything, could learn from some of this. Now having said this, and probably sounding, like a smarta$$, I hope you were able to save it. Did you?

I, too, am sorry if the calf didn't make it. Reading about you asking about the flood, made me think that possibly you posted in the wrong thread. I have done that before. I have posted about our floods in the coffee shop.

3rdgeneration farmer":2t4oepx6 said:

Sounds like pneumonia to me. Nothing like a little stress, coupled with some fluctuations in the weather to cause it.

Latest posts