some solid-colored cows...

Help Support CattleToday:

These are really great heifers - deep thick clean - BUT - don't they look OLD for being HEIFERS? Look more like 3 year olds, and don't look bagging up yet.

Exactly what I was thinking....

I thought the same thing, too, Jeanne. I know I haven't seen calves with this group and they've been out there since fall, and their (lack of) mammary development places them as obviously heifers. There was a bull running with them a few months ago so that'd make for ~Oct calves.

Can't answer for sure though as I really don't know the ages on these girls.

October???? I hope you are wrong about that Milkmaid. These girls will really be heavy in October.

I am guessing they were tested open last summer and were bred for fall calving after that. This would make them dry for quite a long time, and they would be in great condition if this is the case.

I really want to call that bottom heifer an EXT, but I'm afraid I'll screw up my winning streak!!! :lol:

mtnman

I know at least one was in heat in January, so that does make for fall calves, doesn't it? Far as I know they're all heifers, and there's about 25 or so in this pasture so I don't think it's just a few that showed up open and they decided to hold them over. I'm thinking it's a decision from "up top" to manage them this way.