some pics

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbredcalves

Reaction score
I am going to go ahead and put up some pics. They are off my phone, so they aren't the best, but I am going to eventually remember the camera and take some real pics. These are three of my breeding age heifers. The first two are out of a Shorthorn bull and 1/2 Gelbvieh, 1/2 Holstein cows. Their mom's were closely related. I think when I figured the math, they are 3/4 sisters. The Longhorn is one I bought from my grandpa this fall. They ran with a Red Angus bull and I have a Saler bull for next season.

Lola-supposed to be bred to a Red Angus bull, but I am doubting it.
lola.jpg

Kita-bred to a Red Angus bull
Kita.jpg

Spot-bred to a Red Angus bull
spot.jpg

The Saler bull I am going to use was delivered today. I went out after I got off work and took some pictures of him. I remembered to bring the real camera too.

#14, 12 month old Saler bull.

BullPics001.jpg

BullPics004.jpg

Your Kita heifer looks nice & deep & thick - Holstein pedgree not showing. The other two "appear" to be lacking muscling, and over-all volume (which might be expected with Holstein pedigree & Longhorn).
Your bull looks good & long, but also appears to be lacking muscling in the rear quarters. I wouln't look for him to improve the lighter muscled females.

Thanks for your response. I definitely agree. Any cows I buy will definitely be picked to make up for where he lacks. The other heifer I have (no pics) compliments him more than the Lola heifer.

*ETA: The bull is 12 months old. How much of his muscling will change with age and change in diet? He is being fed better now that he is at my farm, or is muscling something that is more hereditary (You either got it or don't)?

Yes, either they've got it or they don't. Now, cattle that are thin (which he appears to be a bit thin) can lose muscling to maintenance. So, a thin animal may actually have more muscling than what you can see, and with proper conditioning can again express his natural muscling. But, they never can get MORE muscle - it is just better expressed if they are in proper condition.

This is the backwards approach. You buy the bull to improve the cows, What is the point of buying cows to fix the bull? :???: @

crossbredcalves":3a4esbdw said:
Thanks for your response. I definitely agree. Any cows I buy will definitely be picked to make up for where he lacks. The other heifer I have (no pics) compliments him more than the Lola heifer.

*ETA: The bull is 12 months old. How much of his muscling will change with age and change in diet? He is being fed better now that he is at my farm, or is muscling something that is more hereditary (You either got it or don't)?

I guess what I meant is if I buy any cows, they will be better cows. I don't plan on buying any more cows though until I get my feeder calves sold and then I will be buying a better bull, anyway. I am going to make the best of my free bull for now, though.

Latest posts