Some new calves

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
Spring can't be too far away with new calves all around. It always amazes me how calves change after just 3 or 4 days on mama's milk.

IMG_0208_3dayoldHerefordheifercalf040513_1_zpsd356cd44.jpg

IMG_0181_Momanddaughterresting040413_1_1_zps83813d63.jpg

And how the newborn calves get licked off, stand up, turn around and get their first colostrum.

IMG_0198_newborncalf8Agettingfirstcolostrum040413_1_zps7624ad9a.jpg

Another heifer calving this afternoon. Dumb heifer this morning laid down to start calving across the entrance to the main waterer, blocking access for the others... I was able to get her up and moved over to a better spot nearby. Interesting business at calving time especially.
Jim

Thanks. Not all roses though. Found a 1st calf heifer with her legs uphill, almost caste and a nice but dead heifer calf behind her. Flipped the hiefer over just in time and saved her. I hate burying dead calves. Just part of the cattle business I guess. Also part of having mostly hilly ground. Few flat places to have a calf. Rookies can get into trouble. Veteran cows are better at finding a place to have their calf.

Jim

Yes I am all Herefords and in herd building mode. I figure I need 30-35 calves a year to make a decent ROI and income. I want a herd of straight Hereford cows and after I get my numbers up I may try a couple different bulls on them, maybe alternate Hereford and Simmi or Angus bulls each year ?

Or break the herd into two groups and use a Hereford bull to make replacement cows and a black bull for Baldy calves.... I'll be interested in seeing the data from the crossbred compared to my purebred calves and see which way to go. I am into weighing my cattle frequently.

Yes all of mine are unassisted births fwiw. They calve out on pasture. I have no cattle buildings/shed etc. The girls are basically on their own. If I do see a problem I have a very experienced neighbor who is very helpful and a very good cow vet nearby who makes farm calls.

However about all I usually do is to count them. I use good calving ease Hereford bulls and do not purchase any females. BTDT. They are now all home raised and from cows that know how to have a calf on their own. Unassisted calving seems to be a lost cow art. It's a slower way to build a herd but at least you know what you have.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jim

Nice looking animals Jim. I love a Hereford. Sorry about the loss. As to the statement about "veteran cows are better at finding a place to have their calf"....not always ;) LOL.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":f4dsukle said:
Nice looking animals Jim. I love a Hereford. Sorry about the loss. As to the statement about "veteran cows are better at finding a place to have their calf"....not always ;) LOL.

Katherine

After seeing where a 3rd calf cow had a calf today, I should retract that statement about veteran cows. Wishful thinking on my part :?