some more sprayer questions..

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I built a spray unit several years ago, using a 5'x8' single axle trailer, and a 330 gal tote tank and pto driven pump. Works great, but now, the sun's UV has made the top of the tank pretty brittle, it's a pita to climb up on the trailer to reach the fill and mix chemical, and I want to replace it with a lower profile cylinder shaped 250 gal tank.
Not mine (Bigfoot's) but this is the kind of tank I am using now, tho at 330 gals, mine is a bit taller:
null_zpsa7ce0c1e.jpg

The problem I see happening, is I pull it using one of these on the 3point:
13087d1054606049-my-new-3-point-receiver-274286-p5060005-jpg

I use that because connecting the trailer hitch to the drawbar coming out the bottom of the differential would interfere with my pto driven roller pump.

So, my question is:
I don't have any problem going up and down inclines with that tote tank setup behind my 3600 Ford, since it is small 'footprint' and sits right over the axle, but if I use a long narrow tank, what will happen if I am going up a steep incline and the fluid all runs to the back? Is it a problem--does the weight transfer to the rear of the unit raise the tractor's lift arms up?

I Think I would make me a longer drawbar to where it wouldn't interfere. It would seem to me to be a lot of wear and tear on the lift arms.

Yes, the PTO shaft is above the rawbar, but close enough that under the right circumstances, the tongue of the trailer can get into the pump plumbing & fittings, especially on a turn and uneven ground. I have several steep sided draws I have to go thru. And yes, those lift arms do take a lot of stress with a full tank of solution. I use sway bars as well as the chains to minimize that effect when I'm pulling the sprayer. The other reason I use the lift arms is to keep the tongue and front of the trailer up off the ground--I have a lot of stumps, and I didn't really want to extend the tongue length out or put a dogleg offset in the tongue. Never could find a trailer jack that would allow me to lower the tongue down low enough to get it hooked up to the drawbar either--I can't pick it up empty, and using the lift allows me to really easily hook on to the trailer without getting off the tractor.
Will the fluid go to the back of the tank and cause problems?

Don't build it on my say, but I believe a 3600 could handle that kind of weight.

I have thoughts of redoing mine, with a 600 gallon tank. I would put it on a tongue wagon if I did.

I still cant imagine not using the belly bar with a pump on pto . The roller pump on my 200gal sprayer is no more that 10" in length the hoses port into the sides and are more of a concern for the lift arms. I still have atleast 15" of belly bar left before anything will get into the pump. If you tractor does have a short belly bar you could fabricate a sleeve that will slide over bar and use a bolt to secure it thru pin hole and weld a female receiver coupler on the sleeve on the top side if your concerned with height . that would give you at least 12more inches with a standard hitch.

greybeard":30ehgkn5 said:
Yes, the PTO shaft is above the rawbar, but close enough that under the right circumstances, the tongue of the trailer can get into the pump plumbing & fittings, especially on a turn and uneven ground. I have several steep sided draws I have to go thru. And yes, those lift arms do take a lot of stress with a full tank of solution. I use sway bars as well as the chains to minimize that effect when I'm pulling the sprayer. The other reason I use the lift arms is to keep the tongue and front of the trailer up off the ground--I have a lot of stumps, and I didn't really want to extend the tongue length out or put a dogleg offset in the tongue. Never could find a trailer jack that would allow me to lower the tongue down low enough to get it hooked up to the drawbar either--I can't pick it up empty, and using the lift allows me to really easily hook on to the trailer without getting off the tractor.
Will the fluid go to the back of the tank and cause problems?
Time to redo the tongue on the trailer. Remove the ball receiver hitch on the trailer and weld two plates on the tongue with opposing holes to drop a pin in and use the belly draw bar. Center the tank over the wheels an you should be okay.

Latest posts