Some Hereford pics

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I came back from a trip to another snow. I gave the bulls a treat of a fresh bale of oat hay on the ground, rather on the snow, to play with for a day. I'll put a ring over it tomorrow.

My Huth bull Z072 is like a big Teddy bear. He loves to play with a bale. He is in a north facing pasture so I give them a bit of time to play when I put out a fresh bale. Z072 shares his pasture with two calves I retained from last springs crop who might be bull candidates.

I am liking #28 especially he is showing the long/low and other traits I like but doesn't have the eye pigment that many of mine do. He is just 10 months old today. I might breed him to some of my best pigmented heifers this coming summer.

The head on photos of 72 point out the eyeset that Knersie has discussed here many times.

I'll add a photo of more calves grazing standing corn in the snow. They are coming along also. Here are some pictures from today except the calves grazing was in my camera from a couple days ago.

Jim

IMG_1319_bullandbullcalfinthesnowwithsomeoathay021514_zpse7859fd9.jpg

IMG_1337_bullZ072inthesnowwithsomeoathay021514_zps601701c7.jpg

IMG_1379_BullZ072andretainedbull28playingwithafreshoathaybaleinthesnow021514_zps12802791.jpg

IMG_1373_bullZ072inthesnowwithsomeoathay021514_zps0bc775e8.jpg

IMG_1317_Calvesgrazingcorninthesnow013014_zpsb7975afb.jpg

The cattle look good.

Does grazing standing corn cause much foot troubles in those calves? I would think that could be a touchy project.

alexfarms":3d5ctlg1 said:
The cattle look good.

Does grazing standing corn cause much foot troubles in those calves? I would think that could be a touchy project.

No it does not. I've been doing this for 6 or 7 years now.

Thank you all for the kind words. It is amazing to me how well Herefords adapt to the incredible winter we've had here. About 45 days so far with below zero F temperatures.

Jim

Great pictures! The corn grazing really interests me. Getting to be quite a few guys doing it in our area now and they all seem to be really happy with it. We are thinking of trying some next year and see how it goes.

creekdrive":1jlwiels said:
Great pictures! The corn grazing really interests me. Getting to be quite a few guys doing it in our area now and they all seem to be really happy with it. We are thinking of trying some next year and see how it goes.

I would encourage you to try it. DeKalb Canada seed corn had a very useful corn grazing guide online but I see its been removed. Western Canada prairie province corn grazing is quite different from US cornbelt corn grazing however.

I would never graze cows on corn in the cornbelt. I find calves do well on it.

Corn is one of the few things that are grazeable when the snow is 2 ft deep in January and February.

Good luck.

Jim

SRBeef":1uncsupu said:
alexfarms":1uncsupu said:
The cattle look good.

No it does not. I've been doing this for 6 or 7 years now.

Thank you all for the kind words. It is amazing to me how well Herefords adapt to the incredible winter we've had here. About 45 days so far with below zero F temperatures.

Jim

On the other end of the spectrum, they also do fairly well in nearly tropical conditions. That is one well nourished bull, Jim. He looks great.

Latest posts