Some Happy Pics (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Now that i made everyone gag with my Goonies calf, i simply must post some happy pics.
this is what a normal calf is supposed to look like:
Picture_495.jpg

beef on wheat.
Picture_501.jpg

Beefy,

If I could hack into a computer, I would love to look at the jpg's in your picture folder.

Maybe I can get some tips from my wife (the programmer)

Beefy":2fb6nkz0 said:
you just want to look for bagels..

Your not gonna forget that one, are you?

O.k. so I'm a true southerner, here's a laugh on me about bagels.

Was visiting a customer for the company almost 10 years ago (I was ~ 26). Went in early in the morning, and I met with a real smart-alec guy who invited me to the "kitchen" for some breakfast treats. Had several things to choose from, I grabbed one that looked like a donut, and bit into it. He's laughing his bootie off because I'm biting into a bagel (instead of the proper slice and put butter,etc. way). Here's where the difference in northerners and southerners becomes obvious as he then goes around telling everyone to come see the cajun boy bite a bagel.

I still hate that guy; fortunately I don't have to talk to him much.

sometimes if i'm lazy i'll eat a bagel like that or maybe spread something on top rather than slicing it adn spreading both pieces. i like cream cheese the best, and then peanut butter.

Beefy is have seen several ppl plant wheat in the fields, does it do well for cattle? is there a problem with them eating too much of it? i have a section of my pasture i need to sow somthing in,going to divide up the pasture so i can manage it better, here growing season hasnt started yet, tossing around wheat or rye, maybe oats, i was planning on cutting some of it every few days and throwing it in for a snack. any sugestion welcome... beautiful calf by the way! Rose

Isn't regional food great...
When I was a young military fella I was stationed in Jacksonville Fla. Having grown up in Arizona I wasn't exposed to the great southern delacies. I brought a round of laughter then applause in the mess hall the first morning that I poured milk and honey on my big bowl of grits. Laughter at my expression and applause when I finished the bowl.
Since have learned to love them with butter, salt and pepper and eggs. Dave Mc

brownmule":23svkrhv said:
Beefy is have seen several ppl plant wheat in the fields, does it do well for cattle? is there a problem with them eating too much of it? Rose

Like any change of feed... watch the bloat aspect... the sweetness of the wheat draws in the critters as well to where the hay is stacked.

brownmule":3tn8tn8d said:
Beefy is have seen several ppl plant wheat in the fields, does it do well for cattle? is there a problem with them eating too much of it? i have a section of my pasture i need to sow somthing in,going to divide up the pasture so i can manage it better, here growing season hasnt started yet, tossing around wheat or rye, maybe oats, i was planning on cutting some of it every few days and throwing it in for a snack. any sugestion welcome... beautiful calf by the way! Rose

we plant rye and wheat every year for the cows to graze. last year the wheat kicked butt but this year the rye did better. rye tends to sprout and grow faster it seems, especially as it gets warmer. ours always just kind of sits there until it gets some fertilizer, then it will be knee high and green all of the sudden. i had 5 elderly cows that looked like absolute crap i turned in for a month or so ahead of the other cows. they had WAY more than any one cow needs and they did fine, are fat as cows now. we planted oats one year and they didnt do that great. you could take that section and plant rye for the winter and millet for the summer?

[
you could take that section and plant rye for the winter and millet for the summer?[/quote]

that sounds like a plan, i thought about millet, soil is not the best, will take amending, wonder what i could mix with the millet, would the wheat work with the millet? any thing we plant has to help,gonna put manure on it to help "make soil" since we have been brush hogging it off last summer it all ready looks better, the land was pretty growen up and got it last feb.. Thanks Rose

I haven't pastured rye much. Do cattle tend to bloat on it once in awhile like with wheat pasture?

rarely maybe. ive had a few bloat but i'm not sure it was the rye that did it. like anything though, if you turn them in and they gorge themselves there could be problems. better keep an eye on them anyway.

We graze oats here. We don't need the straw and don't have a grainery to store it anymore. So we plant it late and graze it. Works ok.
Millet is good feed. Never grazed it though. Planted it and then green chopped it onto a wagon for the cows.

we tried oats a time or two. they never did do anything here. it was either too hot or cold or wet or dry those years, lol. millet is excellent for grazing, saved my butt one summer.

Oh now here we have the most intelligent expert cattleman on the board sharing his wisdom on what a normal calf should look like.

Latest posts