Some days i could do without.

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
Went down to the barn today to find one of our our top cows dead this morning. She was fine yesterday and dead this morning. To top it all off she was pregnant to a top ai sire. These are days I could do without.

MRRherefords said:
Went down to the barn today to find one of our our top cows dead this morning. She was fine yesterday and dead this morning. To top it all off she was pregnant to a top ai sire. These are days I could do without.

That's awful. It's never the no account so and so's that this happens too. Sorry about your luck.

I just found the best looking heifer I've ever raised just roll over and die on flat ground in the middle of a corn field. She was fine the evening before, about 1 month out from calving.

It's a gut punch that sets you back a couple years in genetics.

MRRherefords said:

Those days stay with you too long! Awful event.

Any ideas of what happened?

Bright Raven said:
MRRherefords said:

Those days stay with you too long! Awful event.

Any ideas of what happened?
None. We fed her last evening with the other soon to be moms and found her stiff next to the feed trough this morning. No indication of injury, calving attempt or struggle. Only wound on her was a head cut where she apparently hit it when she went down. Which leads me to believe that it was sudden.

MRRherefords said:

Hate to hear that. Happened to me last fall. Also palpated yesterday and 3 of the best momma cows out of the group (6yr olds) were open. Have always raised 600# calves. What do you do? Keep them or let them go. It's tuff

Coosh71 said:
MRRherefords said:

Hate to hear that. Happened to me last fall. Also palpated yesterday and 3 of the best momma cows out of the group (6yr olds) were open. Have always raised 600# calves. What do you do? Keep them or let them go. It's tuff
Bingo! One of my fave cows had twins this year during the last round of brutal weather. I went out as soon as it turned daylight & it appeared the 2nd twin was stillborn and the first one was not completely clean/dry and way too cold. Took her to the shop & warmed her up, thought she had a chance but didn't make it. I can only assume she went into labor while she was cleaning off the first twin. So now I have an open cow that has always been one of my best producers (not to mention disposition!) and I need to cull. :bang:

I hate to hear when someone looses a cow unexpectedly. I held 6 cull cows back because of the price last fall and 5 have calved and the other is very close. I expected to lose 2 or 3 of them so our run of luck is bound to end shortly.

Went out Thursday morning to check cows and there was one of my best feet up in the air dead as a door nail. She was fine the night before at 9pm, by 7am she was in beginning stages of rigger. Looks like she struggled a little in the snow but not much. She was about 3 weeks out from calving and had a nice looking bull calf inside.

Latest posts