Some advice

Help Support CattleToday:

BAMABORN

Reaction score
I picked up a little (weaned) brangus bull last friday. He is young, about 200 pounds. Great little calf, I hope he grows up and stays a few years. Can't get him to eat any grain. I have tried everything, calf starter, soy hull pellet, all grain and sweet feed. he just smells and walks off. :bang: I have him is a good pasture with bermuda, crab grass and bahiagrass knee high. He grazes really good all the time, uses the bathroom. So I know he is eating a good volume of grass.
So here is my question. Should I worry or not? Give him a few days? He acts fine know, but I don't want to stunt he's growth.

Put a buddy in with him that already knows what grain is about. It will take a few days but he will catch on by watching the other one eat it

Stick with one feed as well. The changing would be detrimental even to a started calf.

as said get a buddy or 2 in with him.an stay with 1 feed.an he will get the idea an start eating feed.

Thanks guys, I put the smallest heifer I got in with him. She is 8 months so she is bigger and sucked down all of food while he looked at us like we were crazy. They are grazing together so maybe he will catch on.
I wrote (weaned), should have put "weaned". I ment it sarcastic, because that is what I was told. He had been saperated early.

Latest posts