Solid white shorthorn

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
13,217
Reaction score
533
Location
Kentucky
I visited the North American today, and there is a solid white shorthorn bull here. Phenotypically speaking, this bull is as impressive as I have ever seen. Not sure what roll they play in the industry, but he's easy to look at and watch move.
 
OP
Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
13,217
Reaction score
533
Location
Kentucky
Bright Raven":2ee00jo1 said:
Genotypically, is he from a clubby pedigree like so many of the shothorns at shows are?

That'd be a good guess. I picked him to win today. He won his class, and lost at the final. I figured his color or his age wasn't right though. I think he was 14 months old. They usually pick one of the older bulls to win.

I believe his feet and legs would hold up walking around our Ky hills though.
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,916
Reaction score
29
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
Bigfoot":1t3uhhwf said:
Bright Raven":1t3uhhwf said:
Genotypically, is he from a clubby pedigree like so many of the shothorns at shows are?

That'd be a good guess. I picked him to win today. He won his class, and lost at the final. I figured his color or his age wasn't right though. I think he was 14 months old. They usually pick one of the older bulls to win.

I believe his feet and legs would hold up walking around our Ky hills though.
His color will get him killed in the real world....
 

Caustic Burno

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
27,125
Reaction score
1,964
Location
Big Thicket East Texas
Bigfoot":1rpuixnb said:
I visited the North American today, and there is a solid white shorthorn bull here. Phenotypically speaking, this bull is as impressive as I have ever seen. Not sure what roll they play in the industry, but he's easy to look at and watch move.

My old running buddy that died in January ran a herd of registered SH
he had quite a few solid white ones.
Here are a couple of his when I was feeding from him.
Several neighbors bought bulls from him.

 

Cada22

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
108
Reaction score
28
I like the look of that blue roan but it would take a beating going to stockyard here in AL
 

Muddy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2015
Messages
2,635
Reaction score
42
Location
Cold place!!!
Yup put a white shorthorn bull on your black cows and you'll get blue roan calves that don't bring much at most sales.... actually these roan calves are dirty cheap.
 

Workinonit Farm

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
7,159
Reaction score
12
Location
Ctrl Virginia
I have a couple of neighbors that run a few white Shorthorn cows, along with their Angus and Hereford crosses. Every now and then I'll drive by and see a couple of those pretty little blue babies. A couple of times I've even seen some blue coloring in Holstein calves.
 

Lucky_P

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2009
Messages
3,442
Reaction score
518
Location
Western KY
The white SH bull is: SRV QUIET MAN, ASA# 4233956. He's a Tibial Hemimelia carrier
Not a 'heifer ' bull, but not a horrible CE/BW deal. Just kinda 'middle of the road' for the rest of his epd profile; right around breed average for most traits.

We've been using some solid red Shorthorn sires over some of our higher-% Angus cows for the past 7-8 yrs. No whites or roans...I get smacked hard enough on the occasional red or RWM steer... but I'm a 'red cow' guy at heart, and like the red/rwm heifers when I get 'em.
I know just about enough about SH to be dangerous... most of what I see behind him is 'showring' stuff... I don't recognize a whole lot of 'commercially-oriented' stuff up close in his 4-generation pedigree.

30 years ago, when we were raising a bunch of Holstein calves, I got a couple of roan heifers - one red, one blue - from dairy clients who also had a Shorthorn herd, and ran a Shorthorn bull for cleanup behind AI on their Holstein herd. Those two sure were pretty...
 

Boot Jack Bulls

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2015
Messages
1,238
Reaction score
114
Location
NW WI
Lucky P pointed out the first big issue I have with this bull...He is a TH carrier. Even if I was into shorthorns, I would never use dirty genetics knowingly. Second, I have it on good authority (I know people who saw him at World Beef Expo as well) that say aside from his color being an issue for some, he is very small footed for the mass he carries. Personally, based on the pictures alone from both shows, he is carrying way to much condition to be evaluated very effectively.
 

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
12,304
Reaction score
1,200
Location
Central Upstate New York
I have to admit that I LOVE the Blue Roan coloring. Always have.
I'm surprised that with all the years possible to upgrade in the Simmental breed, someone could have come up with a PB blue roan bull!! I wouldn't breed to him just for the color, but if he was also really good, I would love to get some blues. It wouldn't ever hurt me on the steer end, because I sell direct to a feedlot, and he wouldn't care what color it was. Just so it performed like all my others.
 

Son of Butch

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 30, 2010
Messages
7,493
Reaction score
1,267
Location
Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota
Lucky_P":iu7jfw47 said:
We've been using some solid red Shorthorn sires over some of our higher-% Angus cows for the past 7-8 yrs.
No whites or roans...I get smacked hard enough on the occasional red or RWM steer...
but I'm a 'red cow' guy at heart and like the red/rwm heifers when I get 'em.

I know just about enough about SH to be dangerous...
:lol2: you know more than me.

Bought a few cheap shorthorn cows a few years back, the white 1 was the one I had the lowest expectations for,
now she's the only one left of the group. She turned out to be the best one and I love her... a real Fertile Myrtle.
 

Caustic Burno

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
27,125
Reaction score
1,964
Location
Big Thicket East Texas
Son of Butch":17ccr7ib said:
Lucky_P":17ccr7ib said:
We've been using some solid red Shorthorn sires over some of our higher-% Angus cows for the past 7-8 yrs.
No whites or roans...I get smacked hard enough on the occasional red or RWM steer...
but I'm a 'red cow' guy at heart and like the red/rwm heifers when I get 'em.

I know just about enough about SH to be dangerous...
:lol2: you know more than me.

Bought a few cheap shorthorn cows a few years back, the white 1 was the one I had the lowest expectations for,
now she's the only one left of the group. She turned out to be the best one and I love her... a real Fertile Myrtle.

I know nothing of SH other than I fed them hay my neighbors white ones seem to have the best calves.
 

redcowsrule33

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
927
Reaction score
9
Location
Wisconsin
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2hcy1uvj said:
I have to admit that I LOVE the Blue Roan coloring. Always have.
I'm surprised that with all the years possible to upgrade in the Simmental breed, someone could have come up with a PB blue roan bull!! I wouldn't breed to him just for the color, but if he was also really good, I would love to get some blues. It wouldn't ever hurt me on the steer end, because I sell direct to a feedlot, and he wouldn't care what color it was. Just so it performed like all my others.
I have decided that life is too short to not have a few cows I like to look at, which is why I have a few blondes and red & white Simmis along with my more modern lines. Get some Northern Legend 3N semen, use it on a few of your milkier homo black cows, and give yourself something to smile at.
 

Draper

Active member
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
41
Reaction score
1
He’s a good looking bull w/ a combination of performance and some showier bloodlines. But as others have said, his TH status dismisses him from the consideration of most. A white bull like this will throw either solid black or red calves or the dark even roans everyone loves so much. If you could guarantee all even roans, you’d sure never have a problem garnishing a premium.
 

3waycross

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
14,467
Reaction score
26
Location
Colorado
My buddy had one. Old school Shortie. No show blood. She was a tank. weighed around 1600lbs and never weaned a calf over 400lbs. She had a bad habit of keeping it all for herself.
 

Latest posts

Top