Sold the Bull today.

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
All the Angus cows had been bred earlier this spring so I posted a sign along the fence several weeks ago to let the passerby's know I had an Angus bull for sale. A fellow who lives about 20 miles away saw the sign and looked at the bull Thursday. He called this morning wanting the bull. I didn't come out to bad, I sold him for what I paid for him about 18 months ago and he has "settled" the ladies twice.

So, I am bull less at the moment and plan to stay that way. From now on my small herd will be an elite "Ladies Only" Farm. I will go the AI route to improve the herd.

Oh, the bull is happy. He went to a pasture which had about 15 head that had not been bred since the new owner had sold his previous bull about a year ago.

Rod I am glad to hear you are going the AI route. I would recomend a clean up bull though. It only takes a few open cows to cover the cost of a bull.

how many times are you planning AI'ing for 100% conception?

Aero,

Since I do not have a large herd of cattle, I expect about 60%-65% sucess rate the 1st go-around. I expect to catch the rest on the 2nd go-around with an occasional cow needing a 3rd time.

I will re-evulate this decision after a year or two. If things don't work out with the straight AI route, I'll go back to either AI & cleanup bull or just the bull.

Nowland Farms":17uoaw6d said:
Aero,

Since I do not have a large herd of cattle, I expect about 60%-65% sucess rate the 1st go-around. I expect to catch the rest on the 2nd go-around with an occasional cow needing a 3rd time.

I will re-evulate this decision after a year or two. If things don't work out with the straight AI route, I'll go back to either AI & cleanup bull or just the bull.

If you cull those girls that need more then 2 services you'll find that in the future years your first service concpetions will increase.

dun

Nowland Farms":50jfzydh said:
Dun,

I couldn't agree with you more. You are absolutelty right. Thanks for the advise.

Learned that from my old mentor 30 plus years ago. And sure enough Pete was right. At that time he already had over 60 years in the business. No fasncy schooling, high school drop out, but when it came to business and cattle he was and still is the sharpest guy I've ever known.

dun