Sold 25 feeders today

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
We did well at the local sale barn today and made to the top sellers. I was surprised to see our horned steers received no dock and they didn't sort off the blue roan heifer from the group.

9 steers avg 699lbs, sold at $1.75
2 horned steers avg 630lbs sold at $1.75 per lbs
2 steers avg 587lbs sold at $1.82
1 June steer avg 485lbs sold at $2.04
10 heifers (including blue roan) avg 591lbs sold at $1.75
The youngest belted heifer avg 475lbs sold at $1.50

Black Baldy feeders still topping the sales but so are weaned/vaccinated calves. Charolais influenced feeders selling great, but straight Gelbvieh and strong Gelbvieh influenced feeders got docked harshly. Saler influenced feeders do all right. The hatred for Shorthorn feeders still strong here and received lowest price. Unweaned/unvaccinated calves got docked a little.

I'm happy with these prices other than the youngest calf. Hard to predict what the prices will be nowadays. I got stressed out when the heifer prices started to decreased few weeks ago but I'm really happy that we do well with both steers and heifers.

Muddy, did you sell at Central in Albany?
I bought some Nice black angus x steers 642 lbs for 1.76 there today.
Long day, the place was packed with people and cattle....estimate 1700 - 2000 hd of feeders sold

Son of Butch":2l6egm7o said:
Muddy, did you sell at Central in Albany?
I bought there today and the place was packed with people and cattle....estimate 1700 - 2000 hd of feeders sold
got some nice black angus x steers 642 lb ave @ 1.76 = 1130 hd
I sells mine at Motley. Today was packed too with people still coming with cattle when we left the sale barn around noon. Many feeders got sold for less. Highest selling cattle were 30 head of 890lbs F1 black baldy steers got sold for $1,450 per head. I might be wrong on the numbers but they were weaned, creep fed and vaccinated. The buyers seems a little fussy with few groups later.

Muddy":23j0rc77 said:
I sells mine at Motley. Today was packed too with people still coming with cattle when we left the sale barn around noon.

Was this a normal run, or were people dumping cattle after the recent hard price decline?

Stocker Steve":27nik4mu said:
Muddy":27nik4mu said:
straight Gelbvieh and strong Gelbvieh influenced feeders got docked harshly.

why the dock on Gelbvieh?

Wondering the same, especially after recently buying some gel x ang cross :roll:

Stocker Steve":1xmzzzf1 said:
Muddy":1xmzzzf1 said:
straight Gelbvieh and strong Gelbvieh influenced feeders got docked harshly.

why the dock on Gelbvieh?
From what I seen, these particular ones have too much loose skin and they weren't fit in the buyers' orders.

Stocker Steve":17sct1tj said:
Muddy":17sct1tj said:
I sells mine at Motley. Today was packed too with people still coming with cattle when we left the sale barn around noon.

Was this a normal run, or were people dumping cattle after the recent hard price decline?
It appears to be normal run.

Stocker Steve":3dtf1uyy said:
Muddy":3dtf1uyy said:
From what I seen, these particular ones have too much loose skin and they weren't fit in the buyers' orders.

brisket?

dewlap?
Bigger dewlap on them. Almost like Brahman. I've seen better Gelbvieh before but these particular ones were extra skin.

Shipped a couple dozen charx steers - avg'd 600lbs @ 2.72 today. Was glad to get it, as prices down quite a bit over the last couple months.

1100 head there today, and prices all over the map, but mine on the upper end from the ones I saw sell. Sept sale had similar calves @ 3.35. Wish mine hadda been there, but can't win em all.