Solar Fence Charger

Help Support CattleToday:

Doug in KY

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Gallgher S17 Solar fence charger to use for temporary interior fence sections. Anybody got any thoughts on this charger, good or bad.

Thanks,
Doug

We don;t have that particular one, ours are older models. We have 2 that we use for temp fencing, used to use them for the permanenet when we didn;t have electricity. Ours work fine and never had a problem.

Doug in KY":34okmx97 said:
I am thinking about buying a Gallgher S17 Solar fence charger to use for temporary interior fence sections. Anybody got any thoughts on this charger, good or bad.

Thanks,
Doug

Like dun, I have an older model. It is proably 10 or so years old, but never had a problem and it works fine.

Doug in KY":1ffk4lvo said:

Thanks,
Doug

We have three of them set up in various places. Two of them had the control boards go out for some reason but the local co-op fixes them easily enough. They have been in operation for a number of years with no other trouble but having to replace the battery every 2-3 years as can be reasonably expected. I also bought an S50 for powering longer runs of multi-strand fence but it was a bit more expensive. If you only need one to move around I would suggest looking at the S50. It sits atop a t-post like the S17 and it's more bang for the buck.

Stay away from Zareba solar units like TSC sells. They are disposable (non-servicable) junk.

Latest posts