Solar Fence Charger Setup

Help Support CattleToday:

u4411clb

Reaction score
I have had varying experiences with solar panel fence charger setups. Does anyone out there have any pictures or any advice on what has worked really well for them as far as solar fence charger setups. Like copper or galvenized rods, and what type of charger. And if you use fence nailed to post as a ground as well as the rods etc. Any pics would help as well. Thanks.

46 acres. 3 strands will be hot and the fence is very clean and gets sprayed twice a year so nothing grows into it. The ground is red clay and has plenty of moisture most years.

I've used a 1/2 joule solar on single strand for that size acreage and it was ok. I probably never got more than 4kv though.

u4411clb":3maqljog said:
I have had varying experiences with solar panel fence charger setups. Does anyone out there have any pictures or any advice on what has worked really well for them as far as solar fence charger setups. Like copper or galvenized rods, and what type of charger. And if you use fence nailed to post as a ground as well as the rods etc. Any pics would help as well. Thanks.
What I am using is a 5 joule Champ DC charger from Taylor fence. Using a 31 series Exide tractor battery(I plan to replace the battery w a deep cycle). Its set up on 12.5g 4 wire fence around 20 acres. I have two 8' copper coated ground rods 10' apart. I used 12.5g fence wire connected to each rod back to the fence charger. I bought a 40w solar panel and charge controller. I don't know the brand but I ordered it online for about $100. I think the panel is quality, but the controller seems to be less quality and I am afraid I am going to break it. It hasn't broke and works, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also the panel didn't come w a mount. I wish I would have just bought one. My fence meter maxes out at 7000V and that's what I get at any spot in the fence. The vegetation has really grown up, but doesn't seem to affect the fence. With all that said, I think my set up is good, but would be better with a higher quality solar charge controller.

I am thinking about going with a charger from Taylor fence. SteppedInIt would you say that they are worth the extra dollars over other chargers? I have also been told that copper rods make a really big difference would you agree with that as well?

u4411clb":vpmbqi0e said:
I am thinking about going with a charger from Taylor fence. SteppedInIt would you say that they are worth the extra dollars over other chargers? I have also been told that copper rods make a really big difference would you agree with that as well?
I have two Taylors, very good lightening protection with them. I like em a lot.

u4411clb":2wd9q3lo said:
This is my first electric set up so I have nothing else to compare to. I feel like those guys at Taylor Fence know what they are doing. Charger seems very well made and has built in lightening protection. It uses less than 1 amp and puts out some juice to the fence. Battery will last approx. 2 weeks w no charge. Customer support is great. I have called them, emailed them and get my questions answered quick. I would recommend them. I think the ground rods are copper coated, not full copper. I went with those because they were cheaper at Lowe's than Tractor Supply. Tractor supply has galvanized rods. I am not sure if they are really better for grounding. One thing though, if you use copper rods you are supposed to use copper wire and clamps. Same with galvanized, use galvanized wire and clamps.

Thanks for all the info. Any advice on a particular brand of charge controller? Or what I should be looking for in a charge controller?

u4411clb":2urorld0 said:
Thanks for all the info. Any advice on a particular brand of charge controller? Or what I should be looking for in a charge controller?
I have four Parmaks the oldest is around twenty years old all I have ever done to any of them is have to change the battery every three to four years

Caustic Burno":tmkd5hpo said:
u4411clb":tmkd5hpo said:
I have four Parmaks the oldest is around twenty years old all I have ever done to any of them is have to change the battery every three to four years
I have three Parmak solar battery chargers. As CB said every 4 years or so they get a new battery.

u4411clb":2s9ql6wi said:

Small and no frills is fine. They use power so no use having a large one eating up power itself, The one I'm using is just one I had laying around from my camper.

Same goes for the inverter, the one i have is for a cigarette lighter socket, 75w and comes on sale for 9.99 at times.

And if you need to buy a panel, may as well get a large one. around here 100watt is 200 bux and a 160watt is like 275. 160 is getting on the bigger end of 12 volt panels anything much larger and they jump up to 24 volt panels.

Here you go, good panel, $230

https://www.amazon.com/Grape-Solar-GS-S ... B00GGCK7IQ

or this would likely do you

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-Vol ... controller

Latest posts