Solar fence charger question

Help Support CattleToday:

Joepriest

Reaction score
I have a bull that likes the girls next door. I've been looking at solar power fence chargers and need some input from you guys and girls about what to get. I'm tired of him tearing down the fence !!

http://www.taylorfence.net/solarChargers.php

Taylor Fence Inc. is a company dedicated to two things: 100% satisfaction and making the best fence chargers in the world.

100% Customer Satisfaction
Making the best fence chargers in the world

The company is family owned and operated, and has been under the stewardship of 3 generations of Taylors. The company was incorporated in 1998 by Donald Taylor. Don was retired, but wanted some part time work to keep him challenged, so he traveled a loop through the north part of Alabama each week and collected broken fence chargers from farm stores, repaired them and then returned them the next week. He gained experience repairing all types and brands of electric fence chargers. He noticed that the same type of failure was damaging all brands of electric fence chargers and thought "I can make a better fence charger". He started in his basement and made one charger and sold it and made two more. His electronics training from the air force and his 30+ years experience in customer service for IBM gave him the background he needed to run a successful business.

When it comes to value for money in a DC charger, you won't find a better buy than the Parmak Magnum 12. To get the power that it puts out, you would have to pay more than twice as much to get a comparable product from another manufacturer. Albeit, it doesn't come with a solar panel, but you can buy them cheap online and still be money ahead.

Aaron":19rhlnis said:
When it comes to value for money in a DC charger, you won't find a better buy than the Parmak Magnum 12. To get the power that it puts out, you would have to pay more than twice as much to get a comparable product from another manufacturer. Albeit, it doesn't come with a solar panel, but you can buy them cheap online and still be money ahead.
Only probelm with that particular chager is it runs out of juice at around 300 yards. Past that point you can grab the wire and barely feel a tingle

dun":ky623c4q said:
Aaron":ky623c4q said:
Only probelm with that particular chager is it runs out of juice at around 300 yards. Past that point you can grab the wire and barely feel a tingle

I never had that problem, even with 14 gauge wire at 400 yards.

Aaron":37szd6zj said:
dun":37szd6zj said:
Aaron":37szd6zj said:

I never had that problem, even with 14 gauge wire at 400 yards.
I have 4 of them running through 9 conductor polywire. I didn't realize the problem till a bunch of calves we had last year didn;t pay any attention to it but the cows which had been previsously broken to hotwire never got near it. I finally double crossed the little turds and made it 2 runs, one from each end and not connected to each other. The had always gotten out in the last section. Sure lit their little butts up after I figured out the problem.

I'm glad to hear some people have good luck with solar chargers. I get almost zero results. A string of gloomy days, and mine go caput.

I have the parmak 12's labeled under the southern states brand and if you grab my wire either the 12 or 14 you will be very sorry.

Bigfoot":vsk0t2ma said:
I'm glad to hear some people have good luck with solar chargers. I get almost zero results. A string of gloomy days, and mine go caput.

I posted on here about that with mine this was the first year that happened but this is also the worst weather we had in a while too.

skyhightree1":2i2tpek9 said:
I have the parmak 12's labeled under the southern states brand and if you grab my wire either the 12 or 14 you will be very sorry.
Mine start out at a little over 12k volts but it gradually peters out. Now when I do long runs I just break it into sements and put a charger on each one

The mag-12 is a low impedance charger so you shouldn't have a problem for up to 25 miles of fence
The solar charger should operate for 21 days in total darkness on a fully charged battery
I would guess the source on the above stated problems is either the battery or the fence is grounding out and the low impedance upping the charge is killing the battery and killing the voltage output

They're are literally 1000's in use all over the Texas panhandle, SW Oklahoma and western Kansas that I know of just in my little world

Lots of the wheat pasture in these areas are better than a 1000 acres and only using one
mag-12 sp and been doing it for 25 years that I have been in involved

So I can't see why everyone is having a problem with the charger
As I stated I feel like there is anthor factor as to why they are not performing properly

Like everything, I guess they are not all created equal. I looked up the parmark brand Aaron suggested, and it seems like it was in the price range of the two I had. I don't remember the name brand, but I got them at Southern States. I gave one of them to a guy at church to put on his dog pen. I thought no further than he was going that it would be fine. I think he chucked it after a little while. I currently don't have a need for a solar charger. If I ever do, I'll switch brands.

cross_7":3pb17b03 said:
The mag-12 is a low impedance charger so you shouldn't have a problem for up to 25 miles of fence
The solar charger should operate for 21 days in total darkness on a fully charged battery
I would guess the source on the above stated problems is either the battery or the fence is grounding out and the low impedance upping the charge is killing the battery and killing the voltage output

They're are literally 1000's in use all over the Texas panhandle, SW Oklahoma and western Kansas that I know of just in my little world

Lots of the wheat pasture in these areas are better than a 1000 acres and only using one
mag-12 sp and been doing it for 25 years that I have been in involved

So I can't see why everyone is having a problem with the charger
As I stated I feel like there is anthor factor as to why they are not performing properly
I have an old dicontinued Gallagher that only puts out about 6 k volts and I get readings on the same fence for the entire length. The only variable is the charger. I agree Parmak Mag 12 is a good charger Butu it's applications aren;t universal. I've also run a jumper for one section from the AC charger on the backbone and it has no problems pumping enough juice all the way. Maybe the ground isn;t adequate for the Parmak.

I have a Gallagher s50 solar that Gallagher says will power 30acres/5miles, and I have respected it more than once. My bull crossed a 6 strand barbed wire fence to
get to a cow before I put it up. I hooked it up down a fence line, and now he doesn't like it. I left it hooked up about 2 mo., and I moved the charger, but left the wire.
He hasn't tried to go back to the neighbors cows, and it has been over a year.
I am now cross fencing 30 acres into 5 acre sections with 1 strand(same unit), and 35 head(including the bull) haven't caused me any problems. I have 2 other Gallagher AC boxes,
and my son said that the m1000 unit will make you see stars.
The county coop said that they have parts in stock, and they can do repairs if needed on Gallaghers.

I'm going to talk with the COOP today and see what they have. I tried to get the horny sucker back over here this morning with some feed and he just sniffed it and ran the other way. As soon as I get him back on this side he's going into the round pen until he gets his mind right and I get the fence problem solved. Thanks to all you that helped :) be safe and GOD bless !

dun":e7vbng0b said:
skyhightree1":e7vbng0b said:
Mine start out at a little over 12k volts but it gradually peters out. Now when I do long runs I just break it into sements and put a charger on each one

dag i wonder why that is. I like the idea of on long runs break it into segments and putting a charger on each one.

Latest posts