Soil Test

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
Soil tested last year. I applied the lime required in Fall and added fescue and clover by no till. I also plan to frost seed a little more clover soon.

Do you apply the Phospate and Potash with the Nitrogen?
What should my next steps be here in Tennessee.

I don't know if theres any big differences in Tennessee but you can apply a blend of these fertilizers together. I would assume your using dry fertilizer? Whats your nitrogen source? I work for an agronomy outfit in south central WI and I do soil sampling and write nutrient management plans for farmers and cattlemen.

Carl

If you didn;t apply the NPK last year putting down the P&K can be done about anytime. N requires moisture soon after application to keep it from volitizing

midtn,
You can get ammonium nitrate here but I wouldn't think you would need it this time of year. Urea should be ok.
You can apply a mix if you want.

Why not just get chicken litter if you need N,P & K?

Here are the results of the samples

Water pH P K Ca Mg
upper field 6.6 169 V 72 L 3723 S 157 S
suggested no lime and 0-90lbs N/ 60lbs potash

lower 5.8 24 M 55 L 1055 S 106 S
suggested 2 tons lime 0-90lbs N/30lbs phosphate/ 60lbs Potash

I am trying to add more clover for N.

Does chicken litter do as good a job?

midtncattle":qq22ywo6 said:

Water pH P K Ca Mg

Yes it does. The proportions are not ideal but with 2 tons per acre on your lower field you'll help the bulk of those problems. 2 tons should cost around 60/acre spread. You can't duplicate the results with commercial fertilizer.

"If you didn;t apply the NPK last year putting down the P&K can be done about anytime. N requires moisture soon after application to keep it from volitizing

this has been a problem the last couple of years, dun. with the dry spell, it's nearly impossible to fertilize and coordinate with a rain day. just how long will the dry nitrogen last before it becomes ineffective?

tsmaxx47":nggrl3iq said:
"If you didn;t apply the NPK last year putting down the P&K can be done about anytime. N requires moisture soon after application to keep it from volitizing

this has been a problem the last couple of years, dun. with the dry spell, it's nearly impossible to fertilize and coordinate with a rain day. just how long will the dry nitrogen last before it becomes ineffective?
I don't know. It;s stored in huge piles inside a building sometimes for months so it can;t be all that volatile. One of the local purveyors of fert started doing a water application of disolved N. He claims that takes care of the issue.

dun":31s941wv said:
tsmaxx47":31s941wv said:

I don't know. It;s stored in huge piles inside a building sometimes for months so it can;t be all that volatile. One of the local purveyors of fert started doing a water application of disolved N. He claims that takes care of the issue.
Back in the day when I used fert., ammonia nitrate could be put on top of the ground anytime and you wouldn't lose much.....urea was the one you had to be careful with about volitizing back into the atmosphere, it needed to be incorporated or put on before a rain.

midtncattle":2oljvt7q said:

Water pH P K Ca Mg

I'm just curious.... what are the price tag per acre of these fertilize recommendations?

Latest posts