Soil PH Levels

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are soil sample kits to test the ph on gardens ?

Stepper":23rzxzfs said:

Yes, there are. I believe they are available at the bigger nurseries, but I'm not certain about that.

msscamp":1gc80zjl said:
Stepper":1gc80zjl said:

Yes, there are. I believe they are available at the bigger nurseries, but I'm not certain about that.

I've got a battery powered electronic probe dojigger that simply sticks in the ground and reads the PH level on a dial. Works pretty dang good!

MikeC":3chuvacn said:
msscamp":3chuvacn said:
Stepper":3chuvacn said:

I've got a battery powered electronic probe dojigger that simply sticks in the ground and reads the PH level on a dial. Works pretty dang good!

I hadn't heard about those dojiggers, MikeC, thanks for the info! :D

msscamp":18randsu said:
MikeC":18randsu said:
msscamp":18randsu said:
Stepper":18randsu said:

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/ph-meter.html

MikeC":270ie6j4 said:
msscamp":270ie6j4 said:
MikeC":270ie6j4 said:
msscamp":270ie6j4 said:
Stepper":270ie6j4 said:

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/ph-meter.html

Thank you very much! Affordable, too! :D

Mike C.

Thanks very much for the information. I will have to get me one of thoes.

Your local extension agent will also have kits you can send to the state ag college for testing. We've had good input from doing that. I suspect the students run the tests. The first year after we bought this property, we were literally only able to germinate 3 kinds of weed seeds, nothing else. We sent off a test and it came back with a pH of 9.9! Plus, the proposed veg garden area had housed a horse corral and was "nearly toxic" with phosphate or phosphorus - I can never keep those two straight. Anyway, the "P" in NPK. This was from the horse manure. They sent along a handwritten note to not add any kind of manure for several years and then only after another test. We've worked hard for many years to get the pH levels down to where wanted plants will grow. It was a steep learning curve, but we've got a great garden and a nice lawn. I still have to work at it, though. Lots of organic matter helps, and selected extra applications of nitrogen to temp. lower the pH so plants can take up minerals is an ongoing task.

Latest posts