Soft mushy cervix?

Help Support CattleToday:

Moo-Maker

Reaction score
I went to AI a Jersey/ Holstein after OvSynch 56 + presync + positive Estrotect patch and I couldn't find the dang cervix! It was all mush. I could feel the rod and I extended out the vagina, and I could feel where the rod ended, but I swear I couldn't feel the cervix. What the heck went wrong? The cow was 4 years old, 2 calvings, currently lactating, never been AI'ed. I've never felt so dang defeated when AI'ing! I've been AI'ing for less than a year so I'm still a noob, but I've never not found the cervix. Any tips for next time?

I went to AI a Jersey/ Holstein after OvSynch 56 + presync + positive Estrotect patch and I couldn't find the dang cervix! It was all mush. I could feel the rod and I extended out the vagina, and I could feel where the rod ended, but I swear I couldn't feel the cervix. What the heck went wrong? The cow was 4 years old, 2 calvings, currently lactating, never been AI'ed. I've never felt so dang defeated when AI'ing! I've been AI'ing for less than a year so I'm still a noob, but I've never not found the cervix. Any tips for next time?
keep an eye on her. Doesn't sound like she was really in heat to me. Palpate her next time before wasting a straw and verify you have tone. The uterus should be firmer and stand the cervix up.

Cow or heifer? If a cow, how long after her last calf? A heifer cervix can be pretty small and easy to miss. Cows cervix are generally larger. If she calved recently, it is usually fairly large but fertility is low.

I don't have much experience with AI and sync protocols. I would expect if she had a rubbed patch, she should have been ready.

Try not to let it mess you up. I find I do my best AI work if I am confident and prepared, but don't overthink things. When I get in and the cow starts working on my arm and things start going wrong, I get flustered and I might as well pull my arm out and start over.

Sometimes things feel really weird in there. I am always surprised at how the same cow can have a completely different feel from one cycle to the next. Of course, sometimes it is pretty much the same. Don't give up on her because of one hard AI. Next time you might be surprised how easy it is.

Bigbluegrass put it well, things change, even trying again in several hours when your arm is rested things will feel different. Changes in the reproductive tract move pretty fast during the estrus cycle. If not things will be different next time.
Experience will have you handling these situations better.

Ken

I have been AIing for probably 30+ years and had the same exact thing happen when I bred a neighbors cow a few years ago. the uterus and cervix had absolutely no tone and felt like oatmeal when palpating before inserting the AI gun. I inserted the gun until it felt restricted and assumed it was at the cervix. was able to barely feel the rod pass through the cervix rings but not able to feel when through or verify that deposit was in the right place. Told my neighbor that was a first and what it felt like. he does not preg check but asked him the following spring if she had a calf based on AI date and she did. I was surprised so hope for the best and retry again and it may be completely different next time.

keep an eye on her. Doesn't sound like she was really in heat to me. Palpate her next time before wasting a straw and verify you have tone. The uterus should be firmer and stand the cervix up.
Thanks for the advice! Today I had to AI Longhorns. I palpated the cervixes before thawing the straws. That definitely gave me a better idea. I had three with negative Estrotect patches and their cervixes were soft so we are going to wait and look at them in the AM. The ones I AI'ed had great tone.

680D354D-55E1-4245-A408-0DAFD3C238EA.jpeg
Today, went much better (different ranch). I did as suggested and palpated before thawing and sure enough had three Longhorns not ready. Will check them in the AM. The rest had great tone so I was able to be in and out in a couple minutes. đź‘Ť Thank you all!!!

Latest posts