Manipulating the cervix

Help Support CattleToday:

brandonm_13

Reaction score
It's been some years since I took A.I. training. I ran a bull for years, but am looking into using A. I. again. My one question is to better determine where the cervix is an manipulate it. With all of the simulators, (the box with the plastic parts to resemble a cow), this was no big deal, but when it came to real cows, I had difficulty with this. Particularly, it felt very mushy and it was hard to grab the cervix due to the rectal wall. Any advice from some experienced guys? How far or hard to you push down to locate the cervix, and how much do you try to wrap around it (many of the illustrations show fully grabbing it). I have done a.i since learning it for cattle, but with goats. Then we used a speculum to locate the cervix, so this was never an issue. Thanks in advance.

It's been some years since I took A.I. training. I ran a bull for years, but am looking into using A. I. again. My one question is to better determine where the cervix is an manipulate it. With all of the simulators, (the box with the plastic parts to resemble a cow), this was no big deal, but when it came to real cows, I had difficulty with this. Particularly, it felt very mushy and it was hard to grab the cervix due to the rectal wall.
It sounds like you are practicing on cattle that are not in heat.

When a cow is in a good heat the cervix firms up, making locating and threading it easier. It can be frustrating for newbies dealing with a soft mushy cervix.
One trick when dealing with a soft cervix is very very gently touch the ovary.
The ovaries are very sensitive and a gentle touch often will cause the cervix to firm up. It's a catch-22 as proper technique comes from experience.
Good Luck.

I never try to find the cervix first. I just follow the tip of the rod along with my left hand and when it stops there is the cervix. My hands are an issue as in fatigue quickly with age and gripping those big cervixes but with experience I develop ways to deal with most situations. I have developed a pretty good radar knowing which direction the gun needs to go to hit the os and ways of manipulating the cervix just with my mitt rather than getting my hand around. I guess it is things you develop with experience.

Ken

It sounds like you are practicing on cattle that are not in heat.

When a cow is in a good heat the cervix firms up, making locating and threading it easier. It can be frustrating for newbies dealing with a soft mushy cervix.
One trick when dealing with a soft cervix is very very gently touch the ovary.
The ovaries are very sensitive and a gentle touch often will cause the cervix to firm up. It's a catch-22 as proper technique comes from experience.
Good Luck.
Actually, you are correct. This was way back in college (which is getting farther back in history), and they just bought cattle from the sale barn. They were supposed to be open, but our Animal science professor did find one that was several months bred. But back to the point, these were not cows in heat. I didn't think about that affecting anything.

Actually, you are correct. This was way back in college (which is getting farther back in history), and they just bought cattle from the sale barn. They were supposed to be open, but our Animal science professor did find one that was several months bred. But back to the point, these were not cows in heat. I didn't think about that affecting anything.
A cow in heat (horny) will have a stimulated reproductive tract. The uterus will be swelled up and the cervix will be firm. A cow not in heat will have a limp reproductive tract. ...Does this remind you of anything?

Stick your arm in the cow. You should be able to identify the 2 horns of the uterus. If you found the uterus, you skipped over the cervix. The uterus and cervix are connected, so back trace from the uterus and you can find the cervix. When I took AI training, the cervix was referred to as a chicken neck.

>>>...it was hard to grab the cervix due to the rectal wall.<<<
Yes, that is true. It can be hard to maintain your grasp on the cervix when the cow is grunting and throwing contracting rings. It's the way it is, but you have to remain calm and collected. You just keep trying and practice will make you better.

Usually the reproductive tract will lie to your right side, but every so often I get one to the left.

I have been doing my own AI breeding for probably 35 years now. started with the dairy herd and now with beef. all the info posted so far is good advise. My AI training sounds the same as yours almost. we had the trainer buying cows at the sale barn to train on and them resell them the following week. We started with reproductive tracks on a table that they purchased from the local locker before doing the cows. I can't think of one simple tip to pass on because each cow/heifer is unique. My best advise is not to get discouraged and their is no substitute for experience. When I first started doing my own, I had my local AI tech come a few times to my farm at breeding time; he would check to see if I was where I needed to be to deposit semen and give advise as needed. Glad he had good patience with me because I was not very good/fast at the beginning. I still have problems with some and if they do come back in heat, it is not uncommon to slide right through the second time. It just depends I think on how everything is situated in there at breeding time. Good luck and feel free to keep us updated or ask more questions.

Latest posts