sodium valves

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie

Reaction score
When having an engine rebuilt (391 ford) are sodium valves worth $300.00 more money?

I hadn't heard of those in 20-30 years, didn;t even know they were still made. We used them in racing engines for the heat disipation properties, in normal useage don;t see what benefit they would be.

dun

Well , I went ahead and went with them. To put new seats in the heads they have to bore out the old seat and install seats. The heads (supposedly) on the 391s run a little hot. The rebuilder shrinks the new seats with nitrogen I assume and presses them into the head but he said the sodium valve stems helps the seat to run cooler which keeps the seats from coming loose. That is what ruined the old engine. A seat came loose and rolled around from cylinder to cylinder making quite a mess of the pistons, block , and heads. We'll see how it works out. $300 isn't much money when you are spending 3 grand anyway. The sodium in the valve stem turns to liquid when heated and helps disipate heat.

ollie":13src2kc said:
When having an engine rebuilt (391 ford) are sodium valves worth $300.00 more money?

Hey ollie. What is that motor out of? The only motor in that range that I am aware of is a 390 CI. To my knowledge Ford never made a 391 CI. At any rate good luck with it.

flaboy":1iojurfp said:
ollie":1iojurfp said:

Hey ollie. What is that motor out of? The only motor in that range that I am aware of is a 390 CI. To my knowledge Ford never made a 391 CI. At any rate good luck with it.
Flaboy, I believe that ford used these in HD F series trucks, like F-600, etc.

Crowderfarms":2na851qi said:
flaboy":2na851qi said:
ollie":2na851qi said:

Diesel I assume? I have heard of 391 diesels. Not familiar with what they used in the big ol trucks but I do know they are Ford engines.

flaboy":3qkfqqbk said:
Crowderfarms":3qkfqqbk said:
flaboy":3qkfqqbk said:
ollie":3qkfqqbk said:

Diesel I assume? I have heard of 391 diesels. Not familiar with what they used in the big ol trucks but I do know they are Ford engines.
6.4 litre, gas burners.Built from 1968-78.

Crowderfarms":1f0sow12 said:
flaboy":1f0sow12 said:
Crowderfarms":1f0sow12 said:
flaboy":1f0sow12 said:
ollie":1f0sow12 said:

6.4 litre, gas burners.Built from 1968-78.

Well, ya learn something everyday. I sure didn't know that. That is why I asked ollie where it came from. Thanks!

Latest posts