Soaked round bales

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
We got really hammered right after we finsihed baling and the hay field is squishy wet again and the bales are almost soggy. Will the dry out faster on their side or standing on end?

Don't know how many you have to mess with, but you might set them on their side and then roll them a 180 degree turn with a front end loader after a few days. Might save some rotting on the bottom side.

dun":2l534ubf said:
We got really hammered right after we finsihed baling and the hay field is squishy wet again and the bales are almost soggy. Will the dry out faster on their side or standing on end?

I'd probably let'em sit just as they are at least until the field dries out good. They may be setting on the only dry spots around

let them alone they will dry out just fine in the field.then when it gets dry enough you can bring them in an stack them in your hay yard.

Well they're stillin the hay field. Raining now and supposed to pretty much till early next week. The worst part is it will not be enough to really amount to anything, just enough to keep everything soggy

dun":2c0ak9fr said:
Well they're stillin the hay field. Raining now and supposed to pretty much till early next week. The worst part is it will not be enough to really amount to anything, just enough to keep everything soggy
If you cAn't drive across the field to pick em up I suppose it don't really matter..............what ever you do don't " juice " em...........leave em lay and feed em the spoil first...........:)

Leave 'em alone. Or I can send Rick out with a hair dryer and an extension cord...

cfpinz":2ri3lh41 said:
Leave 'em alone. Or I can send Rick out with a hair dryer and an extension cord...
I figured you could just sit around and BS with him and the hot air from that would dry them. Maybe too much though

dun":3cm8os7z said:
cfpinz":3cm8os7z said:
I figured you could just sit around and BS with him and the hot air from that would dry them. Maybe too much though

You better put insurance on those rolls in case they ignite.

cfpinz":4pzrjub3 said:
dun":4pzrjub3 said:
cfpinz":4pzrjub3 said:

They're cold inside now, just wet.

dun":y8i3paxc said:
cfpinz":y8i3paxc said:
dun":y8i3paxc said:

They're cold inside now, just wet.

I was referring to the heat of the BS.

If they are round bales and were baled dry it doesn't matter about them getting rained on they will not internally combust.

If you are talking square bales, and you baled dry, when they dry on top turn them. Keep doing so. It depends how much rain you get and how many days as to whether they will dry okay or become mulch.

If you baled either of them green, then they can internally combust, whether they don't get rain on them or wether they do get rain on them. That is a no no unless you wrap with silage plastic for a round bale. JMHO.

Dun we had the same problem last year, and the year before. Ours were ok but not great. I just stacked them outside and fed them first. Sounds like you guys are getting what we got last year. Rains everyother day and no end in sight. We had rain again last night but not alot. we are wet but I dont think as bad as you guys.

JHH":3b8embyv said:
Dun we had the same problem last year, and the year before. Ours were ok but not great. I just stacked them outside and fed them first. Sounds like you guys are getting what we got last year. Rains everyother day and no end in sight. We had rain again last night but not alot. we are wet but I dont think as bad as you guys.
We had the same thing last year too. Most of the hay was tedded 4-5 times before it was baled.

There isn't very many yrs that you can put up hay before memorial day in this part of the country with out it getting wet maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 unless you are prepared to green bale it and wrap it

Guys say well we got to get it up or it will start loosing quality
well if it gets rained on 2 or 3 times it looses more quality than it does by waiting a week to cut it

I will cut some small fields close to the house if we are going to have a few decent days but my main cutting doesn't start till the week before memorial day or the week after
this yr it is going to be atleast the week after from looking at the forecast

Angus Cowman":153w50n8 said:
There isn't very many yrs that you can put up hay before memorial day in this part of the country with out it getting wet maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 unless you are prepared to green bale it and wrap it

well if it gets rained on 2 or 3 times it looses more quality than it does by waiting a week to cut it

I will cut some small fields close to the house if we are going to have a few decent days but my main cutting doesn't start till the week before memorial day or the week after
I agree, we usually don;t start till the end of May or early june. But the week of 80 plus temps made everything bloom and mature so much earlier this year.

dun":9xy9nd3q said:
Angus Cowman":9xy9nd3q said:

I agree, we usually don;t start till the end of May or early june. But the week of 80 plus temps made everything bloom and mature so much earlier this year.
yep but where did it get ya :lol: :lol:
I know it was hard to not get things going and think summer was here but with this crazy weather we have been having I knew it would be short lived so I had to hold back on the temptation

Latest posts