So who all is going to the TX majors?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Maineshowgirl

Reaction score
So who all going to the Tx majors? I'm going but I'm only running the heifer that I had the picture posted of. So what all are you running to major?. Good luck to evryone going!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to Ft.Worth Houston and the Tex and Nat. Angus show(if she meets the age requierments) with my heifer

and I am going to Ft.Worth with my steer, if he continues to eat atleast 5 scoops 2x a day then he will go to Houston, if he does not eat well he will be put on the truck

My kids are taking their Brangus steers to Houston. If they have enough cover. If not they will go to our county show.

The steers have been gaining ok on weight but cover isnt to good maybe just trying to rush them. We started them on barley last month. Their eatting seems to be up an down. We have even been skipping one feeding per week. Everyone says it has to do with this weather but dont know.

I wish eveyone luck at the majors an have fun.

I really think it the weather to. All the people I show with the cattle are doing the same thing go on feed for a few days and right back off. This getting hot and then the next morning it in the 30's really is bad. What are you feeding? If you can find a feedstory that sales Hi-pro you can get a Fat supplement called Sweet 80. But it's 99% crude fat and works get. It runs $42.00 for 50lbs, but it last for a longe time. It takes a lot less then Fast fat and seem to be a lot cheaper. Hope that helps
Best of luck too you and your kids. Hope the steers stay on feed. You still have some time til HLSR. GOOD LUCK

get your cattle a cooler and they will eat all the time. haha. but for real just keep them cool as much as you can with fans and whatever it takes. this will really help them stay on feed.

Maineshowgirl":1bca8x58 said:
What are you feeding? If you can find a feedstory that sales Hi-pro you can get a Fat supplement called Sweet 80. But it's 99% crude fat and works get. It runs $42.00 for 50lbs,
we are feeding a finisher, barley an beet pulp right now.
Ill do some checking on the sweet80 an see. Is it labled for cattle?

A cooler would be nice but cant swing that now.
I heard a rumor of someone losing 5 of their show steers in a cooler this year because of the electricity going out. I guess they had no back up.
Makes you stop an think an double check things.

Hey Tabor, Sweet 80 can be fed to all livestock, I'm feeding it to my Maine heifer to make her look softer before majors. You can go to HiProfeeds.com and I think it go to a place to find a feedstore that sales Hipro. It's not listed on the web site. Worked really well on my show goats that needed some cover last year. Hope this helps. Alll I do is mix it in there feed really good, they don't really like the taste. I good friend told me for a steers that really needs cover push it to him til he almost got the runs and then back him up to just wear he doesn't have the runs and keep him right there at that amount.

Maineshowgirl":1mbgf5lb said:
Worked really well on my show goats that needed some cover last year. Hope this helps.
We also have show wethers for county show. thanks for the info

I'm not really giving her that much. Her breeder won'ts her to have more fat on her before majors. Plus he's the one going to be useing her in the donor herd and he didn't really feel it would hurt her, so I'm not worryed about it.

I will be at them all for the heifer and Fort Worth for the shorty steer and Houston for the char steer.

I wish you very good luck. I love shorthorn cattle and always go to see the show. Hope she does good.

I am taking my Brahman heifer to Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin. This is my first year to show so I'm very nervous. and on top of that my heifer has been sick the last month and a half so she needs to gain about 60 pounds. and her appetite is not very strong. She eats what I give her for the most part but she has no want to eat more and she is very finicky.

Attention mainshowgirl
Feeding fat is it animal based? Remenber cattle aren't carnivors !!!!!
You need to take a class in rumen microbiology and truely understand how the digestive system of a ruminant works. An animal fat supplement is a risky proposition do you know of the potential problems that can result from doing this. Plant based oils are also high in energy but present problems as well. To put flesh on fast feed a high energy grain based ration but you need to adjust over to this type of ration over time and watch for acidosis, grain overload and founder. You have to put in the work to get the results. As far as pushing the fat supp until the animal is loose the backing him off you are upsetting the natural microbiological makeup in the rumen . There is a chance the rumen and reticulum may never function properly the rest of her life.
As far as keeping an apetite up the key is exercise if an animal is burning energy exercising they will keep that fresh hard look. The muscle mass will increase like a body builder but the trick is feeding surplus energy so that the animal fattens with a hard cover.
As far as keeping hair and getting it growing the least expensive way is evaporative cooling and elbow grease. AKA fans, misters and combing.

Please send me your opinion back, if you can find flaws in my logic back i would be glad to explain myself.[/quote]

Hey it not animal fat based it's plant fat based. I stoped feeding it right now for the time being. Thanks

to maineshowgirl;
nice to see you have stopped feeding that sup, i would still appreciate seeing a copy of the list of ingredents and a complete feed analysis it should be included on a tag attached to each bag of feed. Could you get me a web site adress of the manufacture if you don't have a tag. I am kind of a stickler on this stuff so bear with me - plants have fatty acids and oils ,the only true fat comes from an animal sorce.

Latest posts